Author Topic: Need help , Transvaal South Africa  (Read 3142 times)

Offline S.Sullivan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help , Transvaal South Africa
« on: Friday 12 April 13 20:05 BST (UK) »
I have found the following names from the nat. archives of south Africa public records,  ancestor.co.za &  ancestry 24 which is no longer .   Area of Transvaal & Pretoria

I am trying to find who the parents are & am at a loss as to how to go about it.  Would appreciate any help . 

Horatio Pappin born Cornwall, Eng.  1944  buried  primrose cem.    wife  Martha Preston Pappin  1946
George Henry Pappin  1964  wife  Flora Helen Pappin  1973
William Kekewich Pappin   1975 wife  May Lillian Cann Pappin 
Edward Ernest Pappin  1903
Mona Pappin Troup   husband  Ronald Ian Troup
Basil Henry Pappin  Pretoria deceased estates index
Glynis Jean Pappin

Thanks
Sharon   

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help , Transvaal South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 April 13 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Read the info about death notices at the top of this board and then order them via the EGGSA website - they really are very reasonable and well worth the wait and money.The death notices should have the parents names listed.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 April 13 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,,,Re  Horatio Pappin...i believe he was b 1869...his father died at sea when he was 10...he then went to an Uncle in South Africa. Worked as a stonemason in the Kimberley diamond mines. Served in the Kimberley town guard during the Boer War. Made frequent trips between Newquay and South Africa. I believe he may have married a Mabel Annie J Clemens in 1896 in Newquay..but she died almost immiediately.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
in the 1871 census   Horatio is with his grandparents  Edward Pollard b 1827  born  Cornwall  and his wife Grace b 1828.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 April 13 21:05 BST (UK) »
Henry Pappin marries a Joanna Pollard in 1869  St Columb,Cornwall. In the 1871 census Henry is aboard ship in chichester,Sussex.He is described as married.
There is a death at sea in 1880 for a Henry Pappin aboard the ship "Sisters".
So,it is probable that Horatios parents are Henry and Joanna.

Offline S.Sullivan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 April 13 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,,,Re  Horatio Pappin...i believe he was b 1869...his father died at sea when he was 10...he then went to an Uncle in South Africa. Worked as a stonemason in the Kimberley diamond mines. Served in the Kimberley town guard during the Boer War. Made frequent trips between Newquay and South Africa. I believe he may have married a Mabel Annie J Clemens in 1896 in Newquay..but she died almost immiediately.
Yes, Horatio Pappin was the son of Henry & Joanna Pollard Pappin.  I didn't know that he served in the Kimberley town guard.    Do you know what uncle he went to in South Africa.

I have info. that his brother Edward (harry ) Pappin served in the Kimberley town guard.  I don't have anymore info. on Harry.

Can you tell me where you got your info. on Horatio being in the Kimberley town guard.  Horatio did marry Mabel Clemens & she died in 1896.

Thanks for all you information

Sharon

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 April 13 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,,I do not know the name of the uncle,,,i got that info from a newspaper report of Horatios death. Re the Kimberley town guard,,,there is a H. Pappin in the medal rolls...i assumed it was Horatio,,,but maybe it is Harry/Edward?

Offline Rose Willis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 11:21 BST (UK) »
I have found the following names from the nat. archives of south Africa public records,  ancestor.co.za &  ancestry 24 which is no longer .   Area of Transvaal & Pretoria

I am trying to find who the parents are & am at a loss as to how to go about it.  Would appreciate any help . 

Horatio Pappin born Cornwall, Eng.  1944  buried  primrose cem.    wife  Martha Preston Pappin  1946
George Henry Pappin  1964  wife  Flora Helen Pappin  1973
William Kekewich Pappin   1975 wife  May Lillian Cann Pappin 
Edward Ernest Pappin  1903
Mona Pappin Troup   husband  Ronald Ian Troup
Basil Henry Pappin  Pretoria deceased estates index
Glynis Jean Pappin

Thanks
Sharon   

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 13:07 BST (UK) »

You can also try searching on Family Search, new records are added all the time.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)