Author Topic: 'Name of Ship' needed  (Read 11237 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'Name of Ship' needed
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 April 13 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun

I thought the tranlation would be  "There he .... "" something in German similar but I couldn't recall it  ;D

I've revised the above...

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 April 13 11:36 BST (UK) »
I don't know any Swedish ...I am just googling these individual words
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 April 13 11:43 BST (UK) »
Third para, is about Erik NYHOLM
First emigration to the Australian mainland (= New Holland) joined thus :
(His taking part in the emigration to Australia came about this way) ?
A poor (Broke?), father and motherless youth from the same parish  - Erik Nyholm - made his way to Sweden  for work. There  he took the lease on (or signed onto) a vessel in Härnösand (in order to get to Australia).

and next:

Då Sartyget        ankom till     destinationsorten    - Bort Adelaide -  rymde vår österbottnifke yngling
When the Ship    arrived at     it's destination        - Port Adelaide -  our Osterbottnich youth escaped

och begaf        fig          i land         - detta skedde 1872
and started     figure      in country   - this occurred in 1872

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 April 13 11:46 BST (UK) »
Try these Shaun! Good fun  :) It's how I worked out a lot of my Danish genealogy too:

http://swedish.typeit.org/
http://translate.google.com/
along with:
http://www.loffe.net/content/view/1811/61/

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline ezekiel

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Living in the Land Down Under '
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 April 13 12:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the idea of "thinking outside of the square"...hadn't done that and quite understandable to try it given accent difference. Will keep looking but 'Wave of Life' is a good one to look at, given the year.
I had found all of the sites posted,thanks - one of the first things I did was sign on to the Finlander Forum and they have been great re translating articles and the Parish records I have found and they've sent me links for. When Erik died my GGGrandmother re-married to another Finlander who had other family pioneer in Bessemer Michigan US... by family account he was actually a cousin to Erik...still chasing that one.
I made contact with the man who runs Loffe.net and got his reply re the article in Swedish (kindly translated for me on Finlander Forum) but hadn't known till then that author was very many yrs ago deceased...dead end...;)
I hadn't found that piece in Trove re the letter Ambly...shall have to go in and see if I can see it this time...thank you.
You guys have been amazing,thank you...but I am sort of resigned to his more than likely to have been a deserter...just as the next GGGrandfather was a few yrs later. ...and no real paper trail for that part.
If  I make a break through I shall let you know.
Anything I can assist with in your searches(if in Oz) will be more than willing to help.
Cheers for now
Julie :)
GOURLAY; GRAY; HALLIDAY; WILKINSON; NORRIS; AIKEN/AITKEN; SIMPSON; MAHAREY; FIFE;SUMMERTON/SUMERTON/SOMERTON; MANSFIELD; FATHERS;HARDY/HARDEY; NICKS; WILLIAMS; THOMAS; LUDLOW; SYNNETT and others.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 April 13 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update Julie!

Here's some more translation (on a roll!) how does it stack up agaianst the real one  ;D

- och ester många äfventyr erhöll     han arbete    först hos enskild person   sedermera   Jernwägsarbete (modern: järnvägs).
 - after many tests were taken          he work        first at the individual        later           Railway work.

Slutligen     återtog han ett handtwerk    fom han utösvat redan i hemlandet       - bleckslageri
Lastly         he resumed a craft              which he had already learnt  at home    - tinsmith

The earlier bit about 'our youth escaping' at Port Adelaide, makes it seem like a jumping ship situation!
Not uncommon. My Danish gt..did the same thing !

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 April 13 12:23 BST (UK) »
Would you be able to post a snip of the ships name as you have it written? See if we can 'see' the name?

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline ezekiel

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Living in the Land Down Under '
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 April 13 14:37 BST (UK) »
I will attempt to scan and upload the entry tomorrow so you can see what you can make of them...if I can't , I shall coerce any child under 10 to do it for me as they are undoubtedly far better techno whizzes than me ;)
GOURLAY; GRAY; HALLIDAY; WILKINSON; NORRIS; AIKEN/AITKEN; SIMPSON; MAHAREY; FIFE;SUMMERTON/SUMERTON/SOMERTON; MANSFIELD; FATHERS;HARDY/HARDEY; NICKS; WILLIAMS; THOMAS; LUDLOW; SYNNETT and others.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 April 13 08:32 BST (UK) »
Perhaps ask SLSA for assistance if you do not live in metropolitan Adelaide.  I have always found them extremely helpful. 
http://guides.slsa.sa.gov.au/content.php?pid=99525&sid=747051

This publication is an alphabetical index by name of ship, giving dates of arrival, availability of passenger lists, port of arrival and port of origin.
http://www.catalog.slsa.sa.gov.au/record=b1577335~S1

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk