Author Topic: 1918 Photograph  (Read 588 times)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1918 Photograph
« on: Saturday 13 April 13 11:55 BST (UK) »
Can anyone throw any light on this photo? The wording on the back is "Doll aged 15 1918" She came from a large family who lived in south London. I guess she is wearing some kind of uniform/overalls and briefly did some kind of war work but the family are not aware that she did anything like that only that her first job was working in the accounts department of Sainsburys. I've looked online for women factory/ammunition workers in the war but haven't found anything that looks similar. I'm beginning to wonder if it was fancy dress.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1918 Photograph
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 April 13 12:19 BST (UK) »

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 April 13 12:50 BST (UK) »
Nice one Genechaser...I think you've nailed it 8)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline sadler32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 April 13 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

I think you were right about the war work prior to going to Sainsburys. She seems to be wearing a type E suit - (see http://www.archive.org/details/protectiveclothi00grearich ) which would suggest that she was involved in metal working or handling machinery rather than chemicals.

Regards Simon.

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 April 13 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you - E does look the closest to what she is wearing - it just seems unusual - and quite daring -  for women to be wearing a proper overall. Mostly, when women at that time wore trousers they wore a longish length jacket or tunic over the top. I assume to make their dress look more modest.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.