Author Topic: Woolloommoloo bmd district  (Read 2358 times)

Offline MurphyCousin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woolloommoloo bmd district
« on: Sunday 14 April 13 19:01 BST (UK) »
What bmd and/or census district includes Woolloomoloo?  Thank you.

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Woolloommoloo bmd district
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 April 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

District  Sydney.  do you have a name and/or years to search ?

Muss

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 April 13 02:08 BST (UK) »
Umm,

woolloomooloo ;D

Neil

MODIFIED. I meant to add that no census information is available or open in the period you are searching. The BDM is NSW.
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 April 13 02:35 BST (UK) »

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 April 13 02:43 BST (UK) »
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline MurphyCousin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 April 13 12:09 BST (UK) »
 :)Thanks all for your help.  I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.  I only have the city name and last name of Quinn.  My Great Grandad Michael Quinn in the US had a brother who lived in Woolloommoloo in the 1920s and 1930s but my mom doesn't know his first name. They were both born in Roscommon, Ireland. Problem is what we thought was Michael's birth record appears not to be correct so I'm grasping at straws.  Thanks anyway!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 April 13 14:08 BST (UK) »
Do you have his or his parents' names and some idea of his birth date?  BMDs in Australia often record parent names if known to the informant.  You never know - you could be lucky!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 00:44 BST (UK) »
There's also lots of us with offline resources for NSW.   

Woolloomooloo is an inner suburb of Sydney, just to the east of the main CBD district.  It is possible that there were events there that were regularly registered at Paddington, Darlinghurst, Waverley, Woollahra, as well as Sydney.

Registering BDM events in the 1920s, 1930s and later until the computer age,  was dependent on which was the most convenient office of the NSW BDM for the person reporting a birth, death or marriage event.   So, on the NSW BDM online indexes you can often find a heading "district" and then the name of the suburb/town where the deputy registrar's office received the information.  NSW BDM districts quite often covered more than just the offical suburb's geographical boundaries and so NSW BDM districts are not the same as say NSW local government boundaries.  NSW BDM districts are not usually the most significant piece of info gleaned from their documents.   

So, basically it was not necessary to report to the nearest office in the pre computer era.   

While there are no census records for you to search, there are other official records that are used regularly and are well recognised as being reliable indicators.    Some electoral rolls are online via commercial websites, but there's also plenty more records (including ERs) that are searchable. 

The NSW State Records Office has online indexes that cover many family history resources .... Probate Packets often include bdm certificates.  Probate Packets are Deceased Estate Files that have been dealt with in the highest court of NSW (NSW Supreme Court) in the years when there were government taxes applicable to be assessed on the death of a person ..... "Death Duties"

NSW BDM certificates (or the cheaper official transcriptions) are usually very detailed, and include the information provided as to parents names, former names, nee names, ages, places of birth, length of time in Australia, details about the deceased's marriages (and naming spouse/s, children)

Here's a very good thread to have a read through, and please know that there's lots of us ready to help you find your elusive ancestors...... (Needles in haystacks seem to be a speciality on the Aussie board)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,368728.0.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline MurphyCousin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 02:07 BST (UK) »
 :)Thank you for giving me hope! Thanks also for such detailed information on how things down there work.  I really appreciate that.  Michael had consistently given his DOB as 1872 in US Census records from 1900-1930. When he wanted to retire my Gran sent to Ireland for his Baptism record to support his age but what arrived showed him as born in 1868. Family lore says he was surprised to find he was older than he thought. I recently saw a transcript of the parish record of his RC Baptism which has a note on it of a marriage in that parish in Ireland after he was already married in the US...That throws out what I thought were his parents,  so parents are currently unknown.  I  also could not find another male child from those parents.  I've always loved doing puzzles though so I will persevere! Thanks again for your help!