Author Topic: Had a good clear out this week!!  (Read 4360 times)

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Had a good clear out this week!!
« on: Sunday 14 April 13 23:13 BST (UK) »
Has anyone had a good clear of of their papers etc from this hobby that we all love ? It has been a cold and windy week here in my corner of British Columbia, so decided I would go through my big pile of papers and I have finally finished..

What a job, but sure am glad I did it, found lots of things I had forgotten about. The only problem I am sure I will have another big pile of papers in a few weeks as I am going to Salt Lake city to the family history library there. 

I have a long list of things I want to find... Oh well this hobby is never done.

Cheers
Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Had a good clear out this week!!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 April 13 23:18 BST (UK) »
Enjoy Salt Lake City - I've fond memories of meeting you there!
I hope everyone is well at home ...

(and I wish I could psych myself up for a good clearout!)

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 April 13 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Eadaoin:

Nice to hear from you.  It has taken me a long time to have this clear out....  I remember meeting you as well.. Just we were going to meet up again.  It has been 3 years since I was last in Salt Lake.

Hubby is not doing too well, but son has moved back home so he will come and keep an eye on hubby otherwise I would not be going as dr. does not want him left alone at night. So I am ready for the break.

Will let you know how the trip goes.

Cheers

Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 April 13 09:46 BST (UK) »

Had a big cleanout a while back and as you say found stuff I'd forgotten about.  Did try to put them into a more logical ??? system but don't know how long that will last, and I haven't even been to an archive yet ;D ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 April 13 09:56 BST (UK) »
Spent a while yesterday filing papers into files (still lots more bits of paper to sort through) but then spied a family I'd traced a few years ago and thought (as one does) 'hmmm, wonder if they were in Belfast in 1901?' (yes) then 'wonder if all those children married?' (many did) and then 'what about the ones in U.S.- one got married in Uruguay (?) in 1939 but what about the rest?' (led to crew lists between U.S. and Buenos Aires, more children born in Argentina, daughter's marriage child and recent death...). So, now have more notes to file and avenues to research...  :D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 April 13 10:16 BST (UK) »

Why is it that this hobby seems to have us going off at tangents, and completely distracting us from the search that we originally started out with that day???  I don't know how many times I've done that, and as you say find more stuff that needs looking into, and leaving us with more questions than we had in the first place........... ??? ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 April 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
Must admit I did the same think, I would look at something and think should look for more on them and the next thing I knew I was on the computer searching, so decided the only way to get this big job done was not turn the computer on.  Must say it worked...

But I soon will be back on the computer searching...  But must get the housework and washing done first... lol..

Cheers
Anne
Shropshire - Hotchkiss

Offline Meezer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 April 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
I was having a shuffle through some papers yesterday and found a birth certificate I never knew I had  ???  I can't for the life of me remember who passed it on to me but it's useful!

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 April 13 23:22 BST (UK) »
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with piles of research papers. Like others I do go through them from time to time and discover things I had forgotten all about. Unfortunately I often get distracted with the newly rediscovered information, go off on a new tangent  and never completely organize my research. My hubby can't understand my interest in a "bunch of dead people".
Cheers, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack