Author Topic: Had a good clear out this week!!  (Read 4359 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Had a good clear out this week!!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 April 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
 I have just had a quick count of the ringbinder files I can see from the computer and it is 23.  I did not open the "family history" cupboard!

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 April 13 19:13 BST (UK) »
I have just had a quick count of the ringbinder files I can see from the computer and it is 23.  I did not open the "family history" cupboard!

Good job you're not married to my hubby, he would be asking (sarcastically) you'll be needing another extention building then!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 April 13 23:31 BST (UK) »

Only 23? I just counted 37 (some have more than one family in them) that I can see from my desk- and that's not counting the ones with church records, gravestone inscriptions... the 2 filing cabinets, 3 bookcases and wall of bookselves...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 April 13 02:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, for years I was content with lots of notepads and a green plastic bag full of loose papers and photos etc. My wife decided that I had to be organized, and bought me several binders to separate the various lines.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 April 13 08:44 BST (UK) »

I only have one, 4 A4 notebooks with notes in, (I obviously have a long way to go yet!!!!) I do tend to store a lot on the compter, and print out what I need to go into the file.  I store all the computer info on an external drive just in case
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 April 13 11:38 BST (UK) »
In my experience clearing out is almost always followed by wanting something that's been disposed of, but I thought I was safe enough clearing out details of look-ups done for other people some considerable time ago. Guess what?  I'd no sooner done it than two of them contacted me again, having lost/mislaid the information I'd found for them! 
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland