Author Topic: East Barming Kent Death/Burial BAKER Abigail 1836  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Seaker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
East Barming Kent Death/Burial BAKER Abigail 1836
« on: Monday 15 April 13 16:48 BST (UK) »
I looking for more information for this death/burial to try to tie it to my tree.
I have the following info from the NBI:

3 August 1836
Baker Abigail 55
East Barming (St Margaret of Antioch)
Kent

What I would like to know is if there is any further info in the actual parish records such as a husband's name (William Baker would be ideal!)

I know a surprising amount about my Abigail's life including the fact that they lived in Barming, all their children were born there and William died/was buried there. Finding her death however is proving a lot harder.

I do believe this is her, but of course belief does not equal proof! ::)

Many thanks

Seaker
MILNE Kent/Middlesex/Scotland; LANE Essex/London; BAXTER Kent; WARDEN London; WALMISLEY Westminster; COOPER Kent/Isle of Wight; DAY Kent; SWEETING Kent/Essex
BAKER Kent/Surrey; ANDERSON Essex; MANNERING Kent; COPPARD Kent/Sussex; TAYLOR Kent; ALCHIN Kent

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: East Barming Kent Death/Burial BAKER Abigail 1836
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
I presume you have this Marriage . ;D

William Baker  to Abigail Springate .  3rd October 1800 at All Saints ,Maidstone.

Source   C of JC & LDS
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Seaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 May 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks, I've got that. :)

I know by the '41 census she was dead and her last child was in 1822 but I don't have anything with her age or date of birth; so although the age at death looks reasonable with the dates I have got, I have no way to prove it's her so I'm just hoping there is more information on the parish records such as husband's name.
(It always surprises me how much more information vicars/priests note down - I've certainly had some fascinating reads doing my research!)

Thanks anyway
Seaker
MILNE Kent/Middlesex/Scotland; LANE Essex/London; BAXTER Kent; WARDEN London; WALMISLEY Westminster; COOPER Kent/Isle of Wight; DAY Kent; SWEETING Kent/Essex
BAKER Kent/Surrey; ANDERSON Essex; MANNERING Kent; COPPARD Kent/Sussex; TAYLOR Kent; ALCHIN Kent

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 May 13 23:13 BST (UK) »
Evening

The KFHS transcripts for Barming have the same details for Abigail as the NBI. The KFHS transcripts do have additional notes beside most of the entries, so it would appear that there are no additional notes for her burial entry. Of course without seeing the original record, you can never discount human error

Regards
Lee

Offline Seaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Lee.

I can see I'm going to have to look for another solution to this, maybe try and find her birth (she's not "local") or discount all the other Abigails in the area.  :-\ I don't think there is going to be a straightforward solution!

Many thanks anyway

Seaker

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 19:35 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for a gravestone? Hopefully she was buried with her husband.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
I would have thought it very likely that it is the correct burial.

In order to try and identify her origins, I would research all the SPRINGATE/SPRINGETs in East Barming to see how they all link up (or not as the case may be).  In particular, I have noticed David bc1799 Boughton Monchelsea ......... he was baptised Boughton Monchelsea 1799 the son of Abigail see http://www.familysearch.org .  It might be a good idea to get his baptism checked out just in case there is anything useful there likewise the marriage of Abigail to William BAKER to check witnesses etc. just in case they were relatives.

There is a bastary order for Abigail SPRINGATE of Boughton Monchelsea 1799 (against James PARKER) which would be worth looking into http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mrawson/sess_s.html

So Boughton Monchelsea is another parish to look into.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Casalguidi,

Yes I'm afraid I also know about David (Parker) and the bastardy claim/baptism.
In fact, for someone who lived and died before official (Govt) records, began I know a surprising amount about Abigail Baker (Nee Springett), more so than some of my other ancestors who should be easy to find but just vanish!!

I am sure that the burial record is my Abigail too, but having ended on the wrong trail more than once, I would like to at least narrow the variables.

The marriage record doesn't have any family witnesses (or ages), so no joy there either.

I'm not entirely sure how the bastardy records work and whether Boughton Monchelsea is her home village or just where she made the claim but I think you're right and Boughton Monchelsea is the next port of call.

Many thanks

Seaker