Author Topic: Bonnington - Bovingdon ???  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnington - Bovingdon ???
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 April 13 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
I can see from your latest submission (sent whilst I was augmenting my previous message) that we are thinking along exactly the same lines.  Another point I wanted to raise is that when Rosetta married, she gave her grandfather George's name as her father, which I am told is not uncommon when that is who brought you up.

Thanks for the 1891 census entry which must be him, and as for the variation in places that the kids thought they were born, I feel certain they were never quite sure themselves.  Nevertheless, I do feel that these pieces of the puzzle are finally coming together.
Regards Roy G

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 April 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's very tangled.  Another census entry puts George and Harriet MESSAGE in Hawkhurst which is interesting and would probably explain the meetting up of John MESSAGE and Philly Elizabeth Tickner PAIN.  Am really not sure why they moved around so much :-\

1851 Moor Hill, Hawkhurst, Kent

George MESSAGE head mar 39 b.Frinstone Surrey
Harriett wife 40 b.Headley Hampshire
John son 12 b.Frimstone Surrey
HO107/1619 folio 358 page 2

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 April 13 22:50 BST (UK) »
Places
Looking at Genes Reunited which has others with interests in the same family, they are equally confused.  Edwin Message 1898 of Staffordshire is another whose birth I cannot find, but some say that too is Hawkhurst.   Mind you, a 10 mile radius would cover Hawkhurst, Salehurst, Hurst Green, and even Biddenden.  I dont think many of the children were very sure where they were born.  I think it may be him as Edwin Farris born West Bromwich 1898.

Note:  In 1891 Edwin Message (b 1873) gives his birthplace as Hurst Green, the same place as his presumed sibling John Amos Farris (b1876) does.  It makes you wonder whether these two spent some of their youth together.  But when their mother Rosetta was no longer with them (either died or found a new partner) Edwin ends up with his great grandparents (1881) and John stays with his father (1891).

I think I may have said it before but instead of being travellers or gypsies, I now wonder if these were formerly boat people who travelled the inland rivers and canals.  Hence they frequently appeared in so many different places. 

George must have had a wonderfully broad rural dialect, for his Frensham (Ponds) appears in so many guises, but he tops it all with his 'Orchis'.  That one has to be my favourite.
Thanks again for your continuing interest and input.
Regards  Roy G

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 April 13 16:12 BST (UK) »
Edwin FARRIS (son of Edwin and Alice) is listed as baptised 1898 Mowcop Staffordshire and also as baptised 27 Jul 1898 All Saints, Moxley, Staffordshire (born 10 Jul 1898) http://www.familysearch.org

Thus I would suggest Edwin FARRIS birth registration September quarter 1898 West Bromwich district is a good possibility for his birth http://www.freebmd.org.uk

Although they moved around a great deal I can't really say I can see anything to suggest they were travellers or bargees.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kim Hurley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • i loved barbillards,moody blues,and steve hurley
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 March 14 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have been research ing the Message family for 20rs and i am stick for john and Phillis marriage
 i cannot find it ,i found a john message and Philadelphia field ? 1856 ticehurst so any handy hints needed. John Message  BATCH ? AGED 50  FATHER Henry }married Mary Pain  53 servant Feb 18Th 1882 ticehurst father David hughes