Author Topic: Thomson look up please MI for Old Churchyard Kirkintilloch  (Read 1198 times)

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Thomson look up please MI for Old Churchyard Kirkintilloch
« on: Tuesday 16 April 13 16:08 BST (UK) »
I have John Thomson died 17/04/1856 aged 55 at Back Casey, Kirkintilloch, married to Agnes Scott. The death Cert states he was buried in Old Churchyard. Does anyone have acces to these MI's and could you have a look and see if there is anything for either of them please.

Many thanks.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson look up please MI for Old Churchyard Kirkintilloch
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry,

Had a look for you - nothing listed in the Old Churchyard for either John or Agnes.

Usually in the Mitchell's books, it says when they carried out their initial survey, but typically, that isn't listed either. They included stones which had at least one pre-1855 death and every now and again, stones which only had post-1855, so although you know that's where John was buried, if his death was the earliest on an inscription, then it may not have been included or there might not have been a stone.

The Old Churchyard in Kirkintilloch is also known as Auld Aisle Burial Ground (or Churchyard).

Anne

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson look up please MI for Old Churchyard Kirkintilloch
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Many thanks for your reply, I kind of thought there might not be a stone as it stated he was a pauper when he died. Also he would have been the first in that family to die in the area... It was worth a try.

Also thanks for letting me know about the other name for the Old Churchyard, I'm not familiar with the West Coast at all and there will be others from John's family that I need to look for.

Appreciated

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk