Author Topic: Chester Overleigh Cemetary  (Read 1086 times)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
Chester Overleigh Cemetary
« on: Tuesday 16 April 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
Could anyone tell me where I can find the grave no for a child buried in the old Overleigh cemetery in 1905.
  Also how do I locate a grave in that cemetery for which I have a no. but There are no graves marked in the area?
Many thanks
Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chester Overleigh Cemetary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 21:07 BST (UK) »
Erin,
Anne Walsh died on the 5th and was buried on the 8th in Overleigh, probably in a communal grave in G section between G922 and G1024, although her name doesn't come up on the Overleigh database.
If you check the burial register for St Werburghs and look up the names either side of Anne, they do come up in the Overleigh database hence my deduction above. It is very unlikely the grave will be marked as it will probably be communal.
You may have to go back to the source and check with the Record Office to see if it was missed off the database accidently in case there is a grave reference.

Check out the old cemetery plans at http://www.hollandfamilyhistory.co.uk/htmlfiles/overleighplans.html
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 21:25 BST (UK) »
Erin,
Anne Walsh died on the 5th and was buried on the 8th in Overleigh, probably in a communal grave in G section between G922 and G1024, although her name doesn't come up on the Overleigh database.
If you check the burial register for St Werburghs and look up the names either side of Anne, they do come up in the Overleigh database hence my deduction above. It is very unlikely the grave will be marked as it will probably be communal.
You may have to go back to the source and check with the Record Office to see if it was missed off the database accidently in case there is a grave reference.

Check out the old cemetery plans at http://www.hollandfamilyhistory.co.uk/htmlfiles/overleighplans.html
Many thanks
Do you know how many people would be buried in a communal grave? Would they all have that same plot No.?
Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 21:31 BST (UK) »
Enter the grave numbers in my previous reply into the Grave Number field at http://archivedatabases.cheshire.gov.uk/cms/LacOverleighCemetery/search.aspx and look at the 1905 burials to give you an idea.
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford