Author Topic: Unsubscribe to topic - Lost?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unsubscribe to topic - Lost?
« on: Wednesday 17 April 13 00:59 BST (UK) »
Yesterday and today (antipodean time!) when I get a notification email and click on the line 'unsubscribe to this topic....' it just brings me to the FORUM screen and I don't get the query 'Do you want to stop notification on this topic  Yes/No'

??? ??? ???

( I usually stop notification if it's something I have only a passing interest in , as I pick it up when looking at New Replies anyhow.    ;D )

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Unsubscribe to topic - Lost?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 09:39 BST (UK) »
It appears that some email providers (such as hotmail) are changing the semicolons in the link to something like %3b. If you hover over the link you may see that.

The way around it (while I figure this out) is to copy the whole link by highlighting the text of the whole link and then press 'copy' and then 'paste' that into the address bar of your browser.

(If you just right-click on the link and press copy, it will still have the same problem, you need to highlight the whole text by dragging your mouse from the beginning to the end of it)

Trystan
RootsChat Caretaker
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 12:24 BST (UK) »
Some good news - it appears that I've fixed this problem now, so it will still work even when some email providers are changing the links :)

Trystan
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trystan.  I'll try it tomorrow - bit late now.

Yes Hotmail have become Outlook and they've changed lots of things. You really have to think laterally to find something which used to be just 'on screen' with them!  It's a real pest at times.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 15:05 BST (UK) »
Dawn,

Yes, these changes are keeping us all on our toes at times! Let us know how you get on with it anyhow.

Trystan

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 April 13 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Trystan
Just successfully 'unsubscribed' from my email, to a subject,
So you've fixed it OK, thanks.
 :)  :)  :)
Dawn M

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 April 13 09:39 BST (UK) »
Dawn,

Great stuff, and thanks for letting me know.

Trystan