Author Topic: CUNNINGHAM of Limerick circa 1840  (Read 3424 times)

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CUNNINGHAM of Limerick circa 1840
« on: Thursday 18 April 13 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find the CUNNINGHAM family from Limerick Co Clare circa 1840 and would appreciate any help or guidance please.

I have the Marriage Certificate of Catherine CUNNINGHAM to Maurice POWER on 11 May 1876 at Gisborne Victoria that Marriage Certificate states:

Catherine CUNNINGHAM born 1847 Limerick, Co Clare Ireland
Father: Michael CUNNINGHAM, Farmer from Clare Ireland
Mother: Anne McCONNELL (prefix on surname hard to see but definitely CONNELL)

She died in childbirth on 8 Aug 1876 and her Death Certificate states:
Catherine POWER formerly CUNNINGHAM, b 1847 County Clare Ireland
Lived in Victoria for 14 years prior death
Father: Michael CUNNINGHAM
Mother Maria ROCK

I have identified that it is the same Catherine as she had 4 children with POWER before they married and another after - he survived - she died 8 days after giving birth but I have no idea why the different mothers are listed on her records.....mystery?

So far I have not had any success tracking them down in Ireland with either mother and nor can I find any marriage details for her parents. Have not been able to access any census for verification of the family but there is no mention of her parents in any Victorian records so assumed they remained in Ireland when Catherine came to Australia about 1862. Have yet to check the migration records.

Any help or suggestions as to how I can find this family would be greatly appreciated tks

Tom

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: CUNNINGHAM of Limerick circa 1840
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 April 13 08:05 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the CUNNINGHAM family from Limerick Co Clare circa 1840 and would appreciate any help or guidance please.
I have the Marriage Certificate of Catherine CUNNINGHAM to Maurice POWER on 11 May 1876 at Gisborne Victoria that Marriage Certificate states:

Catherine CUNNINGHAM born 1847 Limerick, Co Clare Ireland
Father: Michael CUNNINGHAM, Farmer from Clare Ireland

Limerick and Co. Clare are two separate, but adjacent counties.. so could cause a problem for your search as you usually need a more specific location to start a search - ideally the name of the townland, town or parish where your ancestors lived. It's important to note that not all parishes have records for that time frame , and of those that do, not all are online.

See : Introduction to Irish Records
          My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CUNNINGHAM of Limerick circa 1840
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 13 02:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks shanew147,

I am researching this family as a favour for a dear friend who is quite ill and unfortunately doesn't have much time nor the ability to trace his family's origins.....

So far all I have been able to find about the Irish connection is the information I previously posted - those details were taken straight from what was written on the Certificates and being all the information at hand I cannot test their accuracy but appreciate your suggestions 

I had read the links you referenced and was aware of them....thanks.....Tom