Author Topic: Stuck on JOHNSTON of Fyvie. Other names Barclay, Booth, Sangster, Smith, Logie.  (Read 6630 times)

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello, I am doing my father's genealogy for his Scottish side.  I have had great success in tracing his grandmother Ann Smith's side, the Ledinghams. His father's mother ( Hellen Booth)'s side, Wow, all the way back to the Norman Walter de Berkeley! Hellen's great grandmother was Barbara Barclay, of the Towie Barclays. But my Johnston side, AAAAUGH!!! My great grandfather, Peter Johnston, I haven't found any records before his marriage to Ann Smith in 1878. He lists his parents as James Johnston and Hellen Booth, and his birth around 1855 in Fyvie. Peter is in the 1881, 1891, 1901 censuses, living in Insch. Theres another Peter Johnston living in Insch at the same time!  Theres nothing in Scotlands People on any marriage between James and Hellen.  And no Peter born to Hellen Booth in Aberdeen.  Hellen is living in Fyvie in 1841 and 1851.  Theres a James Johnston, living in Fyvie who' s the right age. There's no Peter Booth born there either. Any suggestions on how to find him? Im pretty certain that Hellen is his mother, because when my parents visited Scotland when I was a kid, they visited Cullen Castle, and brought back a piece of Barclay tartan.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi, on Peter's marriage certificate, what is his father's occupation? Is he listed as deceased? Is Helen listed as Hellen Johnston m.s. Booth? That would indicate they were married.If her name's simply Hellen Booth, then Peter would be illegitimate.
Hope this helps,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thanks, here's what I have. James Johnston is listed as a farm labourer, no mention of deceased. Hellen is just listed as Hellen Booth, domestic servant. Peter and Ann were married 13 July 1878, at Auchleven, Premnay. Peters residence is listed as Insch. Also his age is listed as 24, making his year of birth 1853 to 1854, although on the 1881 census he uses 1855. Peters occupation is shoemaker, in 1879 he became a post man in Insch.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hiya ,
There is a Hellen Booth born 1834 on the 1861 Census at Auchterless, Aberdeenshire . Sorry I don't have access to the full Census - just what's on Family Search. Couldn't find Peter Booth or Johnston. :(

Looks like Helen and James were not married according to info on Peter's marriage certificate as it would have given Hellen's name as Johnston then maiden name (m.s) Booth.

Looby

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on JOHNSTON of Fyvie. Other names Barclay, Booth, Sangster, Smith, Logie.
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 April 13 02:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby, you're lucky to have gotten on Family Search, I've been having trouble all day. Pls no one spend any money on my search. It's not urgent.  When I find a new job, I'll be able to afford Scotlands People and Ancestry. Sometimes when you just spend time looking on Google, you can find great stuff.  I googled "Isobel Smith George Sangster" and I happened upon the lineage of her sister Anne Smith. Thru that site I got in contact of a descendant of hers, who gave me 500 more years of family history! But if anyone has CD's they can use, I'd be happy to get more info on Peter Johnston.

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hi all, I think I found my great grandfather "Peter Johnston" on the 1861 census. His mother Hellen Booth is living at Skene, as a domestic servant to John "Hundlen"? who is 69 and has an 11 year old son. I posted a copy of the census under handwriting help, as there is a kid named "George B. Cadenhead" that would be the right age to be my great-grandfather.  There is also a Booth family living next door that might be cousins (she had no brothers). Any interpretations of the handwriting and any suggestions on where to search for Peter next are welcome. I'm going straight to Family search to see if I can find little George in their census. Janice

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ok that wasn't the guy, but I went on Scotlands people, and found a Hellen booth staying in old marchar in 1861. With the Knox family. And their nephew John Johnston who's 14. His older brother is a James Johnston b. 1827. He's married to Margaret Smith. Theres 2 sons one born 1854. I found a family tree listing him as born to unknown mother.  This is getting interesting.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi janicejo,

Can I just clarify? Have you eliminated the Peter Johnston and Hellen Booth at Skene as not being the correct people? Do you mean that on that Census Hellen was named but also a child George Cadenhead whom you considered might be Peter? Just trying to get things straight in my sleepy head ;D

Also who is on a family tree listed to an unknown mother? Can we have a name please.
Sorry about the questions  :)

You probably have already thought of this but keep your options open with the variable spellings of Johnston/ Johnson/ Johnstone. I have Johnstons in my family (no relation, they are all west coast of Scotland) and the spelling of their surname chops and changes on all certificates and Census's right up to the 1911 Census ???. It's given me a headache trying to find them.

Good luck ,
Looby

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
I got the age wrong for Hellen in my census search that got me George Cadenhead. So it can't be that one. I put in the right age and got 2 Hellen Booths, one unmarried. She was living in Old Marchar with the Knox family. Also living with them was a 14 year old John Johnston, a nephew. I looked up his parents and his dad is Robert Johnston.  Theres a James Johnston who's dad is also Robert Johnston, same area not sure if same Robert. This James is on Mundia as married with 2 kids, one is Robert Johnston born 1854 to unknown mother. He died the same year, 1929, as my Peter did. So I'm just speculating that this Robert could be Peter, that Hellen is James' mistress and he's keeping her stashed away with some relatives.  I have to check it out some more. Scotlands people is getting too expensive for this search!!! I need more free census sites.