Author Topic: Stuck on JOHNSTON of Fyvie. Other names Barclay, Booth, Sangster, Smith, Logie.  (Read 6629 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on JOHNSTON of Fyvie. Other names Barclay, Booth, Sangster, Smith, Logie.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 August 13 19:11 BST (UK) »
Janice, you may need to slow down a bit.
The census are stating that Hellen's sister Elspet, was born c 1844.
The 1871 and 1881 census's are showing that Thomas Rennie's wife, Elspet was born circa 1826.

You may need to recheck your findings.

Regards

Malky

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on JOHNSTON of Fyvie. Other names Barclay, Booth, Sangster, Smith, Logie.
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 August 13 15:05 BST (UK) »
Ummm....the 1871 and 1881 census on Ancestry state Elspet's year of birth as 1844. I originally got Thomas Rennie's name off Elspet Sangster's death record, where he is listed as son in law. In 1901, Isabella Rennie is working at the same address in Fyvie, that Elspet Sangster was living at in 1841, working for a family that may be in-laws of the Johnstons (still checking out that one).
       Can you re-check the 1901 census for me for Hellen Strachan?  Born 1834, living with Maggie and George Ogilvie? I missed writing down the district, it may have been Aberdeen.  This might be my Hellen Booth. This Hellen was living in Skene in 1871 with 2 children, Elizabeth and James Strachan, she was not married to their dad. I am trying to contact their descendants on Ancestr
       I appreciate you looking up records. I had made some BIG mistakes in the past, I got the wrong Elspet Sgster at first and spent weeks looking up the Barclays and their noble relatives, only to find I was descended from! shoemakers instead

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 August 13 20:17 BST (UK) »
Time to grovel, Oops, my mistake, read the census's wrong, it's Thomas's birth that was circa 1826 not Elspet's. As you said, circa 1844 fo her.
I blame old age and a long day at work.

Regards

Malky

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 00:52 BST (UK) »
No need to grovel everyone makes mistakes.  I just hope I'll be able to find my great grandfather's mother and father some day. Got to keep looking!

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 19:05 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D!! While looking in an old drawer for a paper clip, I found an old letter from my Aunt, which had my great grandfather Peter Johnston's birthdate as 29 Jun 1854 in Bourtie!!! Sometimes it helps to step away from the genealogy hunt for awhile! Janice

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on JOHNSTON of Fyvie. Other names Barclay, Booth, Sangster, Smith, Lo
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 01 September 13 18:16 BST (UK) »
 I FOUND HELLEN BOOTH THRU ROOTSCHAT!!!!  Awesome, huh?  I was googling Thomas Rennie, and found a post about him from a poster here.  We are distant cousins by marriage. She found the death record for Hellen.  Looks like she left my g grandfather Peter Johnston with her widowed, impoverished mother Elspet Sangster Booth, and didn't come back.  Peter never named a child after Hellen, but he did name them after his grandparents, and the Rennies.  Peter had a rich, long life, thanks to them, and perhaps also from his birthdad's family. That's my next family research project. Janice, proud a daughter of the Johnston family.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.