Author Topic: 'Hyland' 1829 Marriage Look-up  (Read 609 times)

Offline DDeacons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always looking for dead people...
    • View Profile
'Hyland' 1829 Marriage Look-up
« on: Thursday 18 April 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, could anyone please look up a marriage for me in Rye, Sussex?

On the IGI I found a marriage for Ruth Hyland to Thomas Robertson on 21 Jan 1829 at Rye, East Sussex. They are my Maternal 4x Gt Grandparents.

I am hoping Ruth was the daughter of William Hyland? but I cannot find her baptism c1809?
Ruth 'Robinson' is with a William & Lucy Hyland on the 1841 Census with 2 of her Robertson/Robinson children. Thomas was not there, but then he was a Mariner....

Am wondering if her marriage will provide any more clues & confirm if William was her father, or anymore Hyland/Robertson names as witnesses.

Whilst I have been researching my family tree for many years, I am new to this site, so I hope this post makes sense.
Thankyou in advance of anything,
Regards, Debbie.
Blanchett, Chamberlain, Huckle, Sellick/Sollick, Topliff(e)Deacons, Slade, and most surnames in Sussex!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 'Hyland' 1829 Marriage Look-up
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 April 13 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Fathers names were not shown on marriage entries prior to 1.7.1837 which is the date when Civil Registration was introduced.  Mothers names are never shown on English marriage certs

All you will get will be on the lines of the following - some of which you may already know

Names, date and venue

Spinster/bachelor - or widow/widower
Age = Full (over 21yrs) or Minor (under 21yrs)
Of this parish (OTP) - does not necessarily mean they were both born in that parish - just that they satisfied the short residential qualifying time required to enable them to marry there (approx 3wks)

The name and signature of the person marrying them plus the signatures of the 2 witnesses (occasionally more than 2 witnesses but not usual)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 13 00:25 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 April 13 14:37 BST (UK) »
There are no further details for the marriage on the Sussex marriage index though it does have Thomas as Robinton.

Offline DDeacons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 21:48 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Carole, I was hoping for a lucky break, on the off-chance that anything extra had been added...
I do have John Hyland & Marianne or (Mary Ann)  siblings, as Ruth was with Mary Ann on one of the census returns.
Than k you anyway :)
Blanchett, Chamberlain, Huckle, Sellick/Sollick, Topliff(e)Deacons, Slade, and most surnames in Sussex!

Offline DDeacons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 21:50 BST (UK) »
And thank you Sillgen, yes, sometimes the family of Ruth & Thomas were recorded as 'Robinson', instead of Robertson.
Thank you both for contributing :)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 08:55 BST (UK) »
Actually it was Robinton, as I put, so a T not an S.  An unusual variant.