Author Topic: Grandpa x3 Robert Snadden  (Read 1101 times)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandpa x3 Robert Snadden
« on: Friday 19 April 13 05:33 BST (UK) »
Am sure I posted quite some time ago on the Clacks board, but am no further forward so making this a general search (if possible)
Robert Snadden/Snedon/Snadon (plus all synonims)
Born about 1800 poss Clackmannanshire, married Charlotte Marshall 26 May 1827 Sauchie OPR466/0070 0029, had one Daughter Robina born 1831 Sauchie (I have all the information on her) but can find no Info on Robert..have tried for a death on SP but no luck...nothing comes up via IGI or Family Search in any way shape or form.  You could call it my BIG brick wall.
Any help appreciated.
As always Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandpa x3 Robert Snadden
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 April 13 08:14 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to find him in the 1841 census? If he doesn't appear, try for his wife and any children. In case the family is missed out in 1841, then try 1851. Use FreeCen first.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 13 14:40 BST (UK) »
Have a look in Bo'ness, Sneddon-opolis!

Skoosh.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 April 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
Where was Robina living in 1851?

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 April 13 22:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry - Should have given the more info I have..
1841 Charlotte has reverted back to Charlotte Marshall and is in Sauchie with her mother Agnes and family she remains in Sauchie until her death in 1880, have her on all census till then.
Robina marries Edward Hall in 1853..went to double check and, of course, it's the one cert I can't find in the mountains of paperwork I have, I think from memory that her father Robert Sneddon was marked as deceased ?? but have been unable to find a death anywhere....he is a mystery...
Ragards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 13 00:05 BST (UK) »
If ScotlandsPeople does not have a death/burial, then the possible ways forward are these:

- find out if there is a gravestone with inscription
- find out if there is a will or an inventory or a testament dative
- look in the accounts of the kirk session for a payment for use of the mortcloth
- look for any mention of the family getting assistance from the kirk session after Robert's death
- look for any entry in the parochial board registers

- do the witnesses to the baptism of Robert's daughter appear to be related to Robert?
- does Robert witness the baptisms of any other Sneddons in the area which might point to a      relationship?

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 April 13 02:08 BST (UK) »
Thaks GR2..whew that is quite a list.
Having no idea where he died would not know where to looks for a gravestone.
No will that I can find.
Would not know where to look re mortcloth.
Family were not getting any assistance as they were all working as hand loom weavers.
Where would I find parochial board registers and what are they likely to tell me.
Cannot find any baprism for Robina his daughter.
As there are quite a number of Sneddons in the Clackmannanshire area (whom I may say have no relationship with Robert) this would be one hell of a search.

But thanks for the ideas.  As always Patvp

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 April 13 09:35 BST (UK) »
As civil registration did not start until 1855 in Scotland you will not have a marriage certificate for the couple if they married in 1853. Their marriage may be recorded in the Old Parish Records (parochial board registers) which are available to view on the scotlandspeople website. The help section on scotlandspeople will advise you of what you may expect to find. Hope this helps,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 April 13 09:43 BST (UK) »
1841 census transcription gives Robina's dob as c1828 and no other Snaden children living with Charlotte. There may have been other children who died but may be worth considering that Robert died c1830 in Sauchie.