Author Topic: Williams in Rhoscolyn.  (Read 11700 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams in Rhoscolyn.
« on: Friday 19 April 13 15:38 BST (UK) »
Help please.
                   I'm looking for the parents of John Williams, Born in Rhoscolyn in 1823. He was married to Mary Roberts (1822) of Bron-ddel, Rhoscolyn, and they had 5 children. Despite my best efforts, and groaning under the weight of Williamses in that area, I have to admit that help is needed.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Williams in Rhoscolyn.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 April 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

As he married after 1837 - a copy of the marriage cert will give his fathers name and occupation which could help for elimination purposes
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,
                   i don't have the usual access to sites that provide marriage certs ... is there a free site somewhere?
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 April 13 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

There isn't an online resource for sighting marriage certs for the area you are researching I'm afraid - unless any local transcriptions exist that would give fathers names.  If you knew the name of the church they married in you may be able to sight it in the parish records

You could try the Family Search website which may possibly have a partial transcription but neither any local transcription or Family Search would include fathers occupation

You would have to find the marriage on freebmd - note the reference (ie) year, quarter, volume, page number, district and use that info to purchase a copy from the GRO (£9.25)
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 April 13 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
     Thanks for your info. Using logic, I have possible parents,  (Williams couples that married just before the birth of the first child) and I have 8 in the Rhoscolyn area... if I enlarge the area by 5 miles, I end up with 21 possibles! I think that I may draw a line at 1823 and hope that something turns up as I go along. Thanks again from Sweden.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 13 12:54 BST (UK) »
This doesn't help with fathers names I know - but it does give the date of marriage and district

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCKT-3S4

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 April 13 13:42 BST (UK) »
There are two marriages at Rhoscolyn between a John Williams and a Mary Roberts, perhaps you have additional information to decide which is the one you are looking for?

11 Nov 1847 - Rhoscolyn Parish Church - John Williams (full age, bachelor), a labourer of Bryngoleu, son of William Williams, labourer married Mary Roberts (full age, spinster), of Bryngoleu, daughter of David Roberts, farmer.
28 Jul 1846 - Rhoscolyn Parish Church - John Williams (22, bachelor), a labourer of Kepel, son of Robert Williams, labourer married Mary Roberts (22, spinster), of Brondd, daughter of Owen Roberts, farmer.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 April 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again, and thanks for the info. John and Mary are the couple that were married on the 28th of July, 1846.
Mary's father is shown as a farmer at Brondd, this is the Bron-ddel that I mentioned earlier. It also fits in with my supposition that they married the year before the first child was born. ( A family trait). I have neither Mary nor John in my 1841 census ... they were aged 15 then and probably working elsewhere in the area. (Though their first 2 children were born in Rhoscolyn.)
 There we are then; success at last ... thanks to you. If I was the Pope I'd bless you, but somebody else
got the job! Just my luck!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 April 13 21:00 BST (UK) »
From your opening post

I'm looking for the parents of John Williams, Born in Rhoscolyn in 1823. He was married to Mary Roberts (1822) of Bron-ddel, Rhoscolyn

Then reply above

John and Mary are the couple that were married on the 28th of July, 1846.

It also fits in with my supposition that they married the year before the first child was born

But in 1851 - their eldest child is 8yrs old which does not fit with a marriage in 1846.  Are you getting your John & Mary Williams confused as there are 2.

This is the one that fits the birthyear profile you gave - all b Rhoscolyn and living in Holyhead. 

John Williams 29 agric labourer
Mary   28
Margaret  8
John   5
Elizabeth  2
HO107 Piece 2522 Folio 655 Page 7

This is the other - also living in Holyhead.  All b Rhoscolyn except Robert

John Williams 25 agric labourer
Mary   24
Hugh   4
Ann   3
Robert 8 Months
HO107 Piece 2522 Folio 477 Page 21

The first entry fits the profile you gave but not an 1846 marriage

The second entry fits an 1846 marriage but does not fit the birthyear you gave