Author Topic: Williams in Rhoscolyn.  (Read 11701 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams in Rhoscolyn.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger. Does your Runcorn census show Owen's age ... he was born in 1875.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
Yes,given born 1876(in previous PM)

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 12:31 BST (UK) »
Just read your PM.
  Robert, (if this is the correct one), must have been quick off the mark. His youngest child with Margaret was born in 1881, and the first with Ann was born in 1882. I wouldn't have thought that he could have divorced, re-married and moved to Runcorn during that gap. Perhaps Alice was born out of wedlock, (how quaint) ... I haven't found a marriage for them yet but I can see that you may be on to something. The logistics need thinking about but when there's a Williams involved, everything is possible. We mustn't forget that were he living in Runcorn at the time of death, there must be a record there. (before 1901 when Owen Married), and his death would explain Owen's return to Holyhead.
  Another hypotheses is that Robert and Ann were having an affair in 1881-2: Ann gets pregnant, big rush to escape the scandal ... off to Runcorn, taking my grandfather with them. Ann is probably from Holyhead and could have had the maiden name of Williams.
            Regards, Peter.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 13:52 BST (UK) »
I usually ask myself in this circumstance if it's not the person in question,who is it? and then see if there is someone else it might be.If I can't find anyone else it reinforces the original argument.
I suppose it is possible that there was no divorce or remarriage,they simply "did a runner" and possibly didn't register the births.Where the children were born and when the move to Runcorn occiurred is a matter for debate,assuming the basic premise is correct.
Remember,there is an approximately correct death in Runcorn in 1892,aged 38.I don't know if it is possible to find anything more on this without a certificate.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
The last child by the Holyhead family was born in 1880. (Census shows 8 months old, census was on 3rd April, 1881). Yes, I agree with you and ask myself why, once again, there are no Anglesey records for any of them in 1891. There must have been some dispersal of the tribe and with such common names, they could be anywhere, and anybody. Robert has a birthdate of 1851 in the Runcorn census but if he died in 1892, he would have been 41, not 38. There are no other cases in my huge family where a couple live together, have children, and nothing is recorded. (before 1900). Holyhead was a tough place at that time and the Church Lane - Jew St area particularly so. (Half the occupants of Church Lane in the 1911 census were lodgers).
 I'll pencil-in the possible Runcorn family but I'll continue to snoop around. My eldest brother, born in 1928 is still alive and knew my grandparents. He may know something about the background story.
           Many thanks, Peter.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 26 September 15 20:46 BST (UK) »
More progress Roger.
  I have the 1891 census for Owen. He is living with his wife, Margaret Ellen at 1, Baptist St. Holyhead. I followed your link to old newspapers and found another entry for Owen's sister, Ann.
On the 15th of June 1900 she received 14 days hard labour for shoplifting ... her address is given as Baptist St. Holyhead.
 Looking at the sequence of events it seems that in 1900 Owen and Ann plus Maggie were at Baptist St. The 14 days in Prison in June and a probable further sentence later that year would see her and Maggie at Caernarfon for the 1901 census, (taken in March), and Owen marries in January 1901 and shortly moves to Church Lane.
 If correct, that seems to complete the background of my grandfather and this section of the Williams family.
                       Regards, Peter.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 07:21 BST (UK) »
Further item on Ann.

THEFTS FROM A HOUSE. Ann Williams. Baptist-street, was brought up on remand charged with having stolen money and articles to the value of 22s. from Mrs Cummings, Devon House, Edmund-street. Hugh Jones. P.C. William Evans, Mrs Cummings, and others gave evidence of the thefts, which took place on Sunday night, during the absence of the residents.-The accused was sent to prison as a second-class misdemeanant for three months.
North Wales Express Newspaper, July 1900.