Author Topic: Williams in Rhoscolyn.  (Read 11698 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams in Rhoscolyn.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 April 13 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Again CW,
             this is the entry that I have for John and Mary. The ages of both adults and their children are taken from the 1851 census. My initial DOB's for the parents was a bit off but now they have been corrected. This is my mother's family, (Williams) ...you may remember the Darkel Richards that you helped me with ... that was my father's family, (Richards).
           Great-great-great-grandparents. Williams Family

Robert Williams -labourer Married to (Unknown)
                         They had a son, John Williams, (1826) born at Rhoscolyn.

Great-great-grandparents

John Williams (1826), Born at Rhoscolyn.

He married
           Mary Roberts (1826) of Rhoscolyn. (Marriage at Rhoscolyn on 28th Jul 1846)

They had 5 children.

Hugh (1847)  born Rhoscolyn.
                             Elizabeth Ann  (1848)  born Rhoscolyn
                             Robert (1852 )                        born Holyhead
                             William (1885)  Bapt 5-5-1885      ''
                             Richard (1857)  Bapt 25-10-1857    ''

In the 1851 the family are living at Cae Llech, Holyhead.
            In the 1861 census the family is living at Pen-y-bonc Farm, Holyhead. John is described
            as an agricultural labourer at both addresses. In the 1881 census they are living at
            Tan-y-Craig, Penrhosfeilw, Holyhead and John is described as Church Sexton.
(In the 1861 their eldest child, Hugh, (1847) is shown living with his mother's father at Bryn-ddel, Rhoscolyn)

It all ties in very nicely now but thanks for keeping me on my toes.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline tattylashes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 April 13 22:22 BST (UK) »
hi  dont know if this would be helpful, but my mum was evacuated to tan-y graig farm in 1939. the lovley lady who looked after my mum was lillian williams, cant remember her husbands name,but i think her brother in law was Issac. i visited with my mum and dad about thirty years ago,she had jut sold the farm and moved to the villiage.and the farm was being turned into holiday cottages i think.good luck.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input Tattylashes. They would have been relatives of my mother's grandparents, (although Holy-Island is thick with Williamses). My parents had two refugees during the war ... both from London. Happy days of Spam and cabbage!
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline gaffa712

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 February 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again CW,
             this is the entry that I have for John and Mary. The ages of both adults and their children are taken from the 1851 census. My initial DOB's for the parents was a bit off but now they have been corrected. This is my mother's family, (Williams) ...you may remember the Darkel Richards that you helped me with ... that was my father's family, (Richards).
           Great-great-great-grandparents. Williams Family

Robert Williams -labourer Married to (Unknown)
                         They had a son, John Williams, (1826) born at Rhoscolyn.

Great-great-grandparents

John Williams (1826), Born at Rhoscolyn.

He married
           Mary Roberts (1826) of Rhoscolyn. (Marriage at Rhoscolyn on 28th Jul 1846)

They had 5 children.

Hugh (1847)  born Rhoscolyn.
                             Elizabeth Ann  (1848)  born Rhoscolyn
                             Robert (1852 )                        born Holyhead
                             William (1885)  Bapt 5-5-1885      ''
                             Richard (1857)  Bapt 25-10-1857    ''

In the 1851 the family are living at Cae Llech, Holyhead.
            In the 1861 census the family is living at Pen-y-bonc Farm, Holyhead. John is described
            as an agricultural labourer at both addresses. In the 1881 census they are living at
            Tan-y-Craig, Penrhosfeilw, Holyhead and John is described as Church Sexton.
(In the 1861 their eldest child, Hugh, (1847) is shown living with his mother's father at Bryn-ddel, Rhoscolyn)

It all ties in very nicely now but thanks for keeping me on my toes.
Hi, Have you been able to trace any further back on your tree, within the Rhoscolyn area. Regards Gaffa

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 February 15 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaffa,
             No further progress to report on the earliest Williams family but I've managed to push back to the parents of Mary Williams, (was Roberts), B1826. It reads as follows ...

Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandparents, Roberts Family
      Hugh Owen Roberts (1791-1878) Burial at Rhoscolyn on 16th  Dec)  He was born At
      Llanynghenedl.
      Margaret Roberts, (1791- 10th Feb. 1860). Burial at  Llanynghenedl.
          They were married on the 17th Oct, 1815 at Llanddeusant.

They had 3 children

Jane, (1818)
                        ** Mary, (1826)
                             Susanah, (1832).

Having just spent a couple of months tracing the Richards family back to 1680, the task of tracing the Williams family further back could prove fatal ... so many Williams's with the same first name. If you have any info that would help to give me the boost that I need then please post.
                                   regards, Peter

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 10:18 BST (UK) »
Same family, same problem!
 The correct John and Margaret Williams have a son, Robert, born at Holyhead in 1852. I have the census entries for Robert for 1881. He married Margaret Roberts (1853) of Llanfachraeth and in 1881 had 5 surviving children ... they lived at Jew St. Holyhead. I haven't been able to trace this family after this date. Robert was my great Grandfather and his son Owen, (1875), my Grandfather. I have the marriage cert for Owen ... they were married at St. Cybi's in 1901. It shows that Robert was deceased at this date. Further searches haven't produced anything from the 1891 census but I see a Robert Williams of the correct age, dying at Holyhead in 1891. I also see a marriage between Owen Hughes, (1857) of Bodedern and a Margaret Williams of the correct age. They were married in 1893 and shown at the wedding are Owen Williams, (my grandfather ?) and his sister Margaret?
This family, in the 1901 census, are at Bodedern with 3 children, but, once again, a niece and nephew named Williams are included.
 What was going on in this family between the 1881 census, (their last child, another Robert, was born in 1881) and the positive info that Robert was deceased by 1901.
                   Any ideas out there?

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 19:24 BST (UK) »
A long shot but could this be Robert with Owen and a new family in Zion Place Runcorn in 1891?

RG12/2831/100/9

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi again Roger.
       Can you PM me the info. I also have a long shot with the daughter Ann being in Caernarfon prison for the 1891 census and a Maggie Williams (sister) of the correct age visiting Caernarfon at the same time although there are so many Williamses around that one could keep coming up with hypotheses ad nausea. The children and parents have such common names that, without finding them in a cluster in 1891, there is no way to link them by name.
                                        Regards, Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
There is a death of a Robert Williams in 1892 in Runcorn given as age 38.The Robert in Zion Place is one of only two in Runcorn in the 1891 census of that approximate age(there is one from Flintshire given born 1857)

Regards
Roger