Author Topic: Why does my laptop keep "freezing" - Completed thanks to all who helped me.  (Read 9442 times)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Why does my laptop keep "freezing"
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 April 13 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

Then hit F8 when you switch it back on, especially when you have to use the off switch button, then go into Safe Mode - I think it is.    I don't think it is a Mozilla fault, as I use Mozilla all the time ... the experts on here will know better than me ........ after all I am better for chasing mousies ;D

I will sit here quietly as it is a learning curve :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 April 13 12:00 BST (UK) »
KHP - no it's not Mozilla, I just tried to go to the site about Kirkheaton (see my OP) using IE and it froze again.  :'(

Like you I'm waiting for an expert.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 April 13 12:01 BST (UK) »
Silvery - I always use the laptop plugged into the mains, should I take the battery out and leave it out?  I read somewhere that it should be allowed to run right down, and then be re-charged so I do that occasionally, but as I say, I actually use the laptop plugged in.

Yes, as I said, take the battery out, and use it just plugged into the mains.  With no battery in it.   And then see what happens. 
Is the fan noticeably loud?   No harm in dusting it out anyway. 
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 April 13 12:18 BST (UK) »
Silvery - I hadn't noticed that the fan was noticeably loud, I suppose I've got used to it, but my OH was on the 'phone to one of our sons the other day and he asked what the noise was!!  I think it must be the fan that's the problem, as listening to it now it does seem to be working hard and whining a bit. ???

I'll get my OH to take the battery out for me - then if it breaks it's his fault - and see what happens.  What effect does it have not having a battery in, for instance does it lose the date, time, location - that is UK, GMT times etc.

My OH has just said I need a new laptop as this one is about 5 years old- at least I can copy everything to an external hard drive we have and then copy it on to a new one.  I just need to make a note of all the software I've got downloaded as I will have to download them again (at least last time I did, but last time the old laptop (which was actually only a couple of months old, so I got this as a replacement) just stopped working and everything I'd not previously saved disappeared.

Built in obsolescence?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 April 13 12:20 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, when I get my new laptop, will I be able to copy everything on this one straight over to the new one rather than having to copy it to an external hard drive and then back again from there?

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 April 13 12:24 BST (UK) »
Most of the new lap tops, have a Windows Easy Transfer Program which you can transfer things from the old to the new lap top .... but I think you need an extra cable or something to do it and call one the old and new computer.  I know I have one of this lappy.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 April 13 12:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I decided to check on new laptops and guess what - it froze again.  It seems whenever I go to a site, even ones I've used before but only occasionally, it freezes.  Roots seems to be OK, almost as if the laptop knows it's an old friend

What I'll need to do is copy all the folders I have in my inbox for e-mails I want to keep, to My Documents, then everything else should be OK.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 April 13 14:19 BST (UK) »
I've decided to call this topic completed.  I've shaken dust out of the laptop and it has worked for a couple of hours, then froze.  Now my problem is that all the new laptops are Windows 8.

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Why does my laptop keep "freezing" - Completed thanks to all who helped me.
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 April 13 16:54 BST (UK) »
Lots of dust in the house because of builders, fan making loud noise, laptop warm underneath, locks up frequently.  These are all classic indications of overheating.....

The laptop would need to be stripped down and cleaned out of dust & fluff etc. - particularly around the fan and CPU heatsink.   This is an hour of labour for someone who has the skill - local PC shop perhaps, if there is one that you know and trust ? - but don't go near large chain PC store.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland