Author Topic: John Fenemore  (Read 1541 times)

Offline AnFear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Fenemore
« on: Saturday 20 April 13 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am not sure that anyone can help,but,here goes.I applied for a birth certificate for John Fenemore who was married to Lydia nee Sorrell,he married in 1880 and his marriage cert states that he was 23 which if his age is correct he was born in 1857.The 1901 census says he was born in Steeple Barton which is in Oxfordshire.I received a birth certificate for a John Fenemore born in Alcester in 1857,which is the wrong one and they tell me that he is the only one that fits with the information I have given,so if the Gro are telling me there is no birth cert where do I go from here.I am hoping that someone can give me some advice as I am now at a standstill with my family research.
Many thanks

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: John Fenemore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 April 13 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've had a look at FreeBMD and also the location of Steeple Barton, and the most obvious GRO birth entry is as follows:-
1856 Woodstock 3a 548 Jun Qtr
Your best bet when ordering the birth certificate from GRO is to JUST give the name, John FENEMORE, year, 1856, Registration District, Woodstock, place of birth, Steeple Barton, plus name of parents if known. Do NOT give the Volume, Page or Quarter. If the above GRO reference turns out to be yours, okay, but if it isn't, they will refund your money.
You can open an account online at GRO, and then telephone your order, which is the way I order all my BMD certificates.
Good hunting.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 13 07:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Is this John in 1861?

1861 Reference: RG09, Piece 922, Folio 41, Page 3
Kings Sutton, Northamptonshire

Fennemore, John  Head  M  33  Gamekeeper  b Steeple Aston, Oxfordshire
Fennemore, Ann  Wife  F  32  b Middle Barton
Fennemore, Henry  Son  M  5  b Middle Barton
Fennemore, John  Son  M  4  b Middle Barton
Fennemore, Rose Hannah  Daughter  F  2  b Astrop, Northamptonshire
Fennemore, William  Son  M  3 months  b Astrop
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline AnFear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 April 13 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Victor,on his marriage cert it does say his father also called John was a gamekeeper.I will take your advice and open an acc with the Gro as I have to return the wrong certificate.I never thought to look at a misspelling,once again thankyou.

Kind regards

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 April 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
You can't return a certificate! ;D
Once you have received a certificate, that's it.

Otherwise unscrupulous people would simply order hundreds of certificates, photocopy them, and then return them as "unwanted" or "wrong"!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline AnFear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
I had an email from the Gro,they have given me a full refund and have asked me to return the cert to them in the prepaid envelope that they are sending me.

Regards

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 April 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The way to travel! I have had many refunds. Just adopt the method.
Good hunting!
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline AnFear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 May 13 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello, many thanks to Victor and KGarrad for past information.I have now received another birth cert for John Fenemore born in 1858,I am still not sure if this is my ggrandfather,this cert says John Henry,wouldn't he use his second name on his marriage cert,it also says he was born in Launton whereas the 1901 census says Steeple Barton.Does anyone know if there is a way I can prove if its the correct person.Also,his mothers name says Ann Jones Fenemore formerly ? I can't make out the name after formerly.Ann Jones Fenemore,could this be a double barrel name?
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Jean

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 May 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
The name after "formerly" is her maiden name.

And there is no law that says you have to provide your full name when you get married.
The registrar (or vicar) will simply ask for names, and write down what he is told.