Author Topic: Kirklinton Parish Records - Black/Robson Marriage 1833 *COMPLETED*  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Jueb1962

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirklinton Parish Records - Black/Robson Marriage 1833 *COMPLETED*
« on: Saturday 20 April 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
I have recently found a marriage for James Black and Mary Robson on the Family Search site - 26th January 1833 at Kirklinton and also at Arthuret.  At the Society of Genealogists in London last week I checked indexes for both Kirklinton and Arthuret parishes and it is actually recorded in the Kirklinton Marriage Indexes 1813-1839 (nothing in Arthuret index).

If anyone happens to be visiting the Archives, I would really appreciate a look up of the original record as opposed to the indexes as I really want to know who the witnesses are as this may well prove whether these two people are my ancestors.

If someone is kind enough to help and responds then thank you.... I am away for a week on holiday and will be in touch on my return. 

Fingers & toes crossed....!

Julie

Jones: Stockton, Durham,Maesmynis in Breconshire.
Laroche: Stockton on Tees; Liverpool; Quebec, Canada
Conick: Glamorgan
Trattles: NYorkshire
Jonathan: Caernarvonshire, Wales & Liverpool,
Briggs: Finghall & NYorks
Caygill: NYorks
Wright:Fylingdales
Binks: Finghall, NYorks
Brough: Staffordshire, Cheshire & Middlesbrough
Percival, Black, Tinning: Rockcliffe, Arthuret Cumberland
Bradley: Gilling & Barton, NYorks
Simpson, Bell, Latham: Liverpool, Lancashire

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kirklinton Parish Records - Black/Robson Marriage 1833
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie
writing isn't very clear but as far as I could see witnesses were Sarah Tinning and James Robson.
James Black was a bachelor of this parish and Mary Robson was of Arthuret.
hope this helps
robbiesmum

Offline Jueb1962

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 11:41 BST (UK) »
robbiesmum, thanks ever so much for this, really appreciate your help!  Yes, this does help a lot....

I believe Mary & John Robson were my 4xGreatGrandparents but I am having trouble confirming my 3xGreat Grandmother who I believe is their daughter Mary Robson and who married James Black in the marriage you have looked up (1833 Kirklinton).

Mary Robson snr was Mary Tinning b abt 1768 in Arthuret.  She married John Robson 29 Jan 1801 in Arthuret. I believe their children were Betty Robson b 1802 Arthuret and James Robson b 1804 Arthuret as I have found their baptisms but no sign of a baptism for Mary Robson.

I have a definite link with Mary & John Robson and my 2xGreatGrandmother Jane Black in 1841 (Jane is 10yrs old living with John & Mary Robson & James Robson at Kirklinton), and also in 1861 Mary Robson widower is living at Netherby with Jane who is now Jane Percival. I know from Jane's marriage certificate at Rockcliffe that her father was James Black, a labourer and a David Tinning was a witness.

What makes it harder is that I cannot find Jane's baptism either which, according to 1861 & 1871 census, she was born about 1831 at Rockcliffe and "Saint Meries" which I assume is St Mary's Church.  However, I have checked Rockcliffe transcriptions (again, only the transcribed index) as well as  Arthuret and Kirklinton indexes ...nothing for a Jane Black or her likely mother Mary Robson.

So....your information does confirm that this James Black & Mary Robson are connected to James Robson (her brother) and the Tinnings....so I think it is highly likely these are my 3xGreat Grandparents. 

Phew!! If that makes sense I'll eat my hat!  Anyway thank you ever so much.  I'm not sure what my next step is...suppose I need to get my Phillimore's out and have a look at other possibe parishes I need to check. 

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Julie

ps  btw I am a robbiesmum too except as I originally come from Middlesbrough, I am a robbiesmam!!

Offline Jueb1962

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 13:17 BST (UK) »
I just found another marriage record for Mary Robson & James Black from Arthuret.....at Gretna Green 9 June 1832!!!  The Tinkers!!