Author Topic: 12 Wellington Place, Deptford  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
12 Wellington Place, Deptford
« on: Sunday 21 April 13 13:47 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about this address? My ancestor died there in 1883 which is a surprise as she lived in Islington and there are no other family connections with this side of London. The informant was an E. Ashton which again means nothing to me.

Many thanks.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Wellington Place, Deptford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 April 13 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not 100% certain but Deptford used to be in Kent but then moved to be part of London.  I don't think it was ever part of Surrey in 1883

I will ask the moderator to have a look and move your post if appropriate
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 April 13 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, many thanks for your response.

The death certificate says registration district Greenwich, sub-district St Paul, Deptford in the counties of Kent and Surrey. That was in 1883.

Offline Peter H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 April 13 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Retriever,

Part of Deptford certainly was in Surrey right up to the time when it was absorbed into the London County Council at the end of the 19th century. However, the Surrey 'half' was the western part and Wellington Place was just west of Deptford High Street and therefore in the Kent part of the parish. Wellington Place (and not Wellington Street, which was on the other side of the High Street) ran north-south between Evelyn Street and Edward Street and about 200 yards west of the parallel Deptford High Street. It appears to have been renamed Grinling Place as part of redevelopment of the area and appears as such on modern maps.

Peter

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 April 13 13:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information Peter.

I have found the address on both the 1881 and 1891 census but there is nothing to indicate on either that it was anything other than a dwelling house, nor does E. Ashton feature. As my ancestor died of heart problems aged 41 I had been thinking that that had some bearing on the matter, but perhaps not. Hopefully something will turn up to explain the mystery.

Barbara

Offline Peter H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 April 13 15:15 BST (UK) »
Can seem very strange when people turn up miles from home. My great grandfather lived all his life in St Pancras but died miles away in Chatham with an unrecognised individual being the informant on the death certificate. It turned out to be a daughter of his who had married, hence the unrecognised name, and moved away years before. Great grandfather had obviously moved to Chatham where his daughter could look after him when he was taken ill shortly before he died.

Would E Ashton perhaps be a daughter using her married name in your case?

Peter

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter. I know the names of the spouses throughout the family and unfortunately Ashton doesn't figure at all. Perhaps she was just another occupant of the house.

Here's hoping something turns up out of the blue.

Barbara