Author Topic: Parish Records for Baldock Hertfordshire - Which Church?  (Read 2233 times)

Offline JohnsonDE1953

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Records for Baldock Hertfordshire - Which Church?
« on: Sunday 21 April 13 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone:  I have just discovered several parish records which show several ancestors who have been buried in Baldock.  I am having some difficulty in determining which church is connected to those parish records.  I don't quite understand what a "parish" actually is.   Could there be several churches connected to one parish?  Would each church have its own register or would the data have been complied in one parish book?  If a record shows a person to have been buried in 1718 in Baldock, where would the cemetery be located?  Is it at St. Mary's churchyard?  Would there be some other location in the area?

I have found other ancestors who appear in the Weston parish records.  I would presume that they would have been buried in the grounds of the Holy Trinity Church in Weston.  Or is there some other place I should be looking.  Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records for Baldock Hertfordshire - Which Church?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 April 13 07:53 BST (UK) »
A parish, usually, has just one church.
So the parish records are for St Mary.

The burials mentioned on the PR simply mean that the service took place in the church.
Depending on when the churchyard became full, they may be buried there, or in Baldock cemetery - which is open to all faiths.

Definition of parish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parish

A parish is a territorial unit historically under the pastoral care and clerical jurisdiction of one parish priest.
Of course, in England this means a Church of England priest & church.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 April 13 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Baldock, Herts dates from the year 1330 at the time of the Knights Templar. I can't personally give you an answer on he burials, but the Letchworth Family History Group may very well be able to help you.
www.ldfgh.org.uk
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 13 18:23 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this is going to help, but if you are seeking where your ancestors may be buried, Baldock has the main St Mary's Church with its attached churchyard.  There is also the newer cemetary, where burials take place.  However, burials also took place of non conformists at the chapel in Pond Lane, Baldock.  Since the closure of this chapel many years ago, the remains have now been moved elsewhere (not sure where).  There is also another non conformist church in Whitehorse Street where burials also took place, and I believe they keep their own records.

Also, the poorer part of Baldock at the Northern end, was known as "Norton End".  Norton End was intersected by a number of parishes - Baldock, Bygrave, Norton and Willian.  It can be worth searching in all four parishes.

I also have ancestors from Weston.  In addition to the Holy Trinity Church in Weston, there were two non conformist churches (Both which are now closed).  The only cemetary in Weston that I am aware of is the Holy Trinity.  I have many ancestors from Weston - What names are you researching?
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865