Author Topic: John Reid, Johnstone  (Read 9013 times)

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John Reid, Johnstone
« on: Monday 22 April 13 05:52 BST (UK) »
This is a long shot because I don't have many details, but maybe someone is researching the same family. I am looking for the family of John Reid who emigrated to the U.S. in 1886. He was born in Johnstone, Renfrewshire in 1872. His father was named John also, as far as we know. Since he was quite young when he arrived in the U.S., his family may have come with him, but we don't know. If anyone has any info about this family, please post!
Scotland: Reid

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Reid, Johnstone
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 April 13 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladyk,
Can you give a bit more info on John. Where he lived in the US, who he married ect.
It's easier to work backwards with this info.
An emigration year taken from census data, or even a naturalisation application is not always accurate.

There is one man born in Johnstone who fits his profile, but he was definitely still living in Scotland at 1891.

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 April 13 14:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, John Reid married Jane Richardson of Oldham, England. The marriage was on 15 October, 1896 in Paterson, Passaic County, New Jersey. They had several children, John, Hannah, Sarah, James and William, and they both died young (Jane in 1907, not sure John's year of death) in Paterson or near there. John and Jane are both buried in Laurel Grove cemetery in Totowa, the next town over from Paterson, but I cannot find record of John's grave/death date. John Reid arrived in New York on 12 May 1886 and applied for citizenship in 1895. He was living on North York Street in Paterson at that time. The children (including my grandfather William) were placed in the orphanage there in Paterson.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 April 13 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladyk and Anne  :)

Have you been able to view the marriage cert from 1896, Ladyk? Is this the source of the possible name of John Snr for father?

What is the source of the immigration date for John of 12 May 1886? Is this from a manifest?

We need to be able to confirm something firmer back in Scotland otherwise it will be hard to be certain that you have the right John's details there.

There is this entry for example from January 1872 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQT6-D2B Not clear what the address is just from the index, only the original image on the pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk will give you that info. Johnstone is town that would show under Abbey Paisley, so a possibility. This John shows though as being illegitimate, given only mother's name is showing on the entry.

There is also this possible 1881 census entry. Looks like the Kincaid couple are looking after a number of children who show as boarders:

James Kincaid 33
Margaret Kincaid 33
William Gillat 11 boarder
James McLellan 11 boarder
John Reid 10 boarder b. Johnstone
Address: Kirkhill, Neilston, Renfrewshire

There is another John Reid showing in 1881 as born in Johnstone, but think his father was Hugh and mother Jane https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQT6-DLM This family show as living in Johnstone in 1881. Hugh Snr not in the houshold, just mother Jane with the children. Mother has remarried by the time of the 1891 census (Anne, is this the possible John R you mentioned from 1891?).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 April 13 15:20 BST (UK) »
This is the family in 1900? https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M9N4-RFY

Monica

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 April 13 15:36 BST (UK) »
That looks like them, Monica, with Reid spelled wrong. What was the name of the mother of the illegitimate John Reid? I had seen the 1881 census with the 10 yr old John Reid as boarder, and wondered if maybe he was orphaned or abandoned and a ward of the county. Might help to have the mother's name, that might be him! It would explain him emigrating alone at the age of 14.

Oh, yes, the date of arrival was from his application for citizenship in 1895. I don't have the marriage license to check for parents' names.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 April 13 15:43 BST (UK) »
The marriage info from Family Search has no parents listed.
I was looking at a child named John Reid b Dec 1871 to William Reid and Elizabeth Allen.
The family lived in Johnstone, but John was a teacher, still with his parents at 1891.
This family still lived here until at least 1907. I found 2 of the daughters travelling to NY in this year.
We can perhaps, discount this line.

Edit:
Looked at the 1900 census in NJ.
John Reed was a Silk Weaver

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 April 13 15:46 BST (UK) »
Missed that one Anne. So we can discount that family group and also the one with parents Hugh and Jane, as that John is also in Scotland for 1891.

I can really only see that boarder so far in 1881, born January 1872 (never certain but matches his birth details in 1900) to a Caroline Reid. This Caroline may also have had another earlier child, William, in 1870 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQGY-Y49

Monica

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 April 13 16:13 BST (UK) »
I can't see any other possible either Monical, but I cannot find anyone matching his description entering the US via NY in 1886?
Ladyk, did you find his emigration or was the info taken from his naturalisation doc?