Author Topic: French Marriage records Jersey  (Read 2552 times)

Offline velcro

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
French Marriage records Jersey
« on: Tuesday 23 April 13 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Seeking help with marriage and maiden name of Ann unknown to Joseph George Quanto French b. 24 Oct 1829 At sea Jersey Channel Is (no ship known) father Captain James Henry French and mother Elizabeth Matilda French nee Abreo. Ann b. abt 1829 Jersey CI

Cheers
Velcro

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: French Marriage records Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 13 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Something is a tad amiss somewhere …. On the following thread (Hampshire & IOW Lookups) Velcro mentions that Elizabeth Matilda’s nee name was Da Rocha, yet here on this Channel Islands Lookup Request Velcro has it as Abreo.   
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,643847.0

Here’s a link to the UK National Archives ….
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/bmdatseaorabroad.htm

And at that link I read:
“No merchant ship has ever been approved for marriages, although from 1854 any which took place had to be reported in the ship's log. Any marriage which took place on board a merchant vessel was not legally valid.”

Hi Seeking help with marriage and maiden name of Ann unknown to Joseph George Quanto French b. 24 Oct 1829 At sea Jersey Channel Is (no ship known) father Captain James Henry French and mother Elizabeth Matilda French nee Abreo. Ann b. abt 1829 Jersey CI

Cheers
Velcro

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 13 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've had a look for a JGQF marriage in Jersey up to 1861 but cannot see one.

There are a number of trees lodged at Ancestry, most of which give his mother as Abreo but one gives her name as Da Rocha. They are also state that he emigrated to Australia in  1848.

There is a reference at http://twigsofyore.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.html which talks about him emigrating with his brother James William French and his (JWF's) wife Ann Spence.

With the conflict of surnames and whether JWF was a brother, I think this needs clarification. I will check JGQF's birth details.

Stewart

Offline velcro

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 00:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stewart.
Have JGQ French in the 1851 Census aged 22 unmarried painter,Journeyman b. St Helier.Being a journeyman he may of gone to Australia 1848 but returned by 1851 for the census.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 14:51 BST (UK) »
Definitely Abreo.

... and no JGQF marriage prior to 1861 (I've re-checked).

Stewart1.