Author Topic: Trying to verify a marriage  (Read 1878 times)

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to verify a marriage
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 April 13 19:02 BST (UK) »

So now we're down to the question of the reliability of the person who provided the information on George Skinner's death certificate. 

My point is that the Kemp name may have been provided by someone who didn't know all that much about George's parents.

Seems to me the obvious next step is to locate the death certificates and (and marriage certificates) for Henry's other 8 children and see what the others give as their mother's name.

Jann

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to verify a marriage
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 April 13 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hey Jan

Thanks for your reply.  Ahead of you on that one! I've ordered from NSW Australia the dc's for three of the children.  Two died in South Australia - one it looks like died in the equivalent of the poor house.  I have not sent for those as apparently they would not include any parental information.  I dread to think what type of information the poor house dc would contain. The other two died in the UK.  One in the USA.  Currently sorting though marriage certificates - which are less than helpful. Two did not marry, one married before civil registration, one married in Australia etc.  Slowly getting there.

Yes, I know what you mean about the relabiltiy of the person giving the information on George's dc. 
I have visions of someone saying:
1. 'Mother's name please'
2. 'That would be Mary from Kent'
1. 'Mary Kemp'

;D