Author Topic: Old Irish script on Census 1911  (Read 3361 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Irish script on Census 1911
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 April 13 20:30 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this could be him in 1901? James McGill age 12 born America-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Killybegs/Letter/1180644
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 April 13 20:38 BST (UK) »
Seamus' story could be very interesting

I looked up another listing I came across recently and just found it again; what caught my eye was that three out of the four are described as only having Bearla/English yet all are written in old Irish format; also the signature of the Head is rewritten from Irish to English!! Residents of a house 20 in Main Street (Swords East, Dublin)

The scratched out signature there isn't Matthew Howard / Maitiu Mac Iomhair. I think it was signed by Frainc the head of household here http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000012801/.
Looks like he filled in the form linked to above and signed himself as head of houseold.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 April 13 20:53 BST (UK) »
Interesting find aghadowey, I did learn that the teacher James McGill married the girl Elizabeth Fagan of the house he was boarding in, the person doesn't know where they went but is pretty sure they didn't stay in the area, I'm hoping to find them in the USA but no luck so far.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 April 13 23:13 BST (UK) »
There is a birth for Joseph McGill in 1891 to James McGill and Ann Meehan in New York on Family Search.

The marriage for James McGill and Elizabeth Fagan gives his fathers name as Francis McManus Lowell USA.
So if this is the same family than Francis would be a step father, I'm not finding a death for a James McGill, if it is the same family I guess the boys could have been sent to their mothers parents when their father died.

Than again they might not even be related.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 April 13 10:04 BST (UK) »
Following James McGill & Ann/Annie Meehan-
Birth: Joseph (1891 Manhattan) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FDYF-WVR
Birth: Annie McGill (1894 Manhattan) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FDYD-GV6
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 April 13 18:31 BST (UK) »
Interesting find aghadowey, I did learn that the teacher James McGill married the girl Elizabeth Fagan of the house he was boarding in, the person doesn't know where they went but is pretty sure they didn't stay in the area, I'm hoping to find them in the USA but no luck so far.

Sinann, there are some ifs in this but if he was a national school teacher and you're in a position to visit the National Archives, their national school records might help you with further information.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 April 13 00:48 BST (UK) »
Good point Sonas, I may do that some day, I'm only down the road but time is always against me these days, there are a few things I would like to have a look at there, some day I will keep that promise to myself.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and info.