Author Topic: Old Irish script on Census 1911  (Read 3359 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Irish script on Census 1911
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 April 13 09:41 BST (UK) »
The annoyance thing was probably one of the motivations why some women said their religion was suffragism on the 1911!

It is more annoying when they did not fill in the census at all as protest! Interesting Link and another!
I'd like to think my strong women are missing for this reason, although I still search for them!!

Also this is a good example of people on the 1911 census (row 6 &7) that are difficult to search for as only their names are in the search engine! Not only that but Eilish is down as male! They were at 6 in Gardiner's Row (Rotunda, Dublin)
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 April 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
I was using the word difficult in that spirit. Making it difficult for the people assessing the population to use the census.
I would be interesting to find out more about this guy, which of course is why I started this thread, my first thought on seem him was 'ah a rebel in the house' and when I saw he was connected to the school I can't help but wonder what influence he had on the children, why would you come from America to teach in a country school in Ireland during such troubling times, a touch of 'More Irish that the Irish themselves' me thinks, when I've finished trying to get my computer to behave itself I'm going to do some searching.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 April 13 10:15 BST (UK) »
It could just be that his parents went to America before he was born and then returned home a few years later so that even though he was foreign-born still considered himself as Irish.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 April 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
Yes of course but he still looks interesting.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 April 13 12:27 BST (UK) »
Seamus' story could be very interesting

I looked up another listing I came across recently and just found it again; what caught my eye was that three out of the four are described as only having Bearla/English yet all are written in old Irish format; also the signature of the Head is rewritten from Irish to English!! Residents of a house 20 in Main Street (Swords East, Dublin)
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 April 13 14:38 BST (UK) »
Here is my grandparents neighbour:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Whitechurch/Haroldsgrange_/57852/

He is transcribed in 'new' Irish. He only completed his name in Irish though and completed the rest of the form in English.
The house and building return shows him as Michael Roghers and the landholder as Patrick H Pearce.

Now his, is an interesting form, Sinann   :)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000133850/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 April 13 15:26 BST (UK) »
 :D It sure is a good one.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 April 13 16:14 BST (UK) »
From the Witness Statements there was a James McGill an Irish American who had served as NCO with the American Expeditionary Force in France, up in Donegal doing his bit during the War of Independence.
I guess I'll have to try and find an army record for him to see if he was a teacher before WWI.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 April 13 16:46 BST (UK) »
When will the book be coming out ;D
Further generations: