Author Topic: Address lnformation - The FLATS  (Read 9238 times)

Offline teemac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Address lnformation - The FLATS
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 March 14 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Thomas

I am from Clara and currently living there.  The Flats as far as I am aware was a large group of housing built by Goodbody's to house workers in the nearby Jute works in Clashawaun (meaning foaming waters derived from Clois Abhainn (sic).

Very few of the original houses remain, however I think there are two left.  The remainder were knocked down many years ago.

If you look at the 1901 census in  Ireland and the 1911 you will see a list of family living there at the time.

If you need any further local knowledge please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Teemac

Offline Tessa6

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Address lnformation - The FLATS
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 October 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Thomas

I am from Clara and currently living there.  The Flats as far as I am aware was a large group of housing built by Goodbody's to house workers in the nearby Jute works in Clashawaun (meaning foaming waters derived from Clois Abhainn (sic).

Very few of the original houses remain, however I think there are two left.  The remainder were knocked down many years ago.

If you look at the 1901 census in  Ireland and the 1911 you will see a list of family living there at the time.

If you need any further local knowledge please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Teemac

Teemac,

Would you have any information on a gentleman who lived in the flats, Clara named William English? He may have moved over to England for some time.

Regards.

Tessa6.