Author Topic: Isabella Rofs/Ross? where did she come from?  (Read 6119 times)

Offline Moonstar36

• RootsChat Member
  • Yogi, 1986-2003 (His brother was Boo!)
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Rofs/Ross? where did she come from?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 20:39 BST (UK) »
Skoosh...downhill slope it feels like!! :)

Can I first say many thanks for all the replies and help...

I have spent this evening on Scotlands People and what I have found is this

1841 - Census Peter and Lily with Philip and James aged 6 and 2 respectively He is a tailor This might tie in with Isabella name after mum??

1851 - Census Peter and Margaret (another wife?) with  a Lily who is 7 already. He is a tailor.

1861 - Census Peter and Margaret with a Lily who 8 (?? this however would tie with Isabella at 24 in 1876, but not with first Lily..is it poss she died)

Then I found a death for Peter Ross, by his wife Margaret (who was Mackenzie) in October 1870 which gives parents names. However, I cannot read these details properly.

Is it possible that the downhill slope has levelled :)? But why are there 2 lilys and ages are same at each census but ten years apart? Addresses seem to be same all way through...could these be mine???

Can anyone help with reading details on death register? Stat deaths. 1870 081 00 0041

I do hope so..I have waited so long....and how do I check where he might be buried?
:)

Is it possible my Lily lied to her husband and was really 34 not 24???? were there any checks done in those days?? (1876)
Ross, McComas & Munro - Ross & Cromarty, Redshaw, Palfreeman, Robson & Marshall -Yorkshire, Broun/Brown & Mackenzie - West Lothian, Wood - Kent, Hartley- Lancs, Deacon - Northants

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:26 BST (UK) »
Moonstar,  census stuff can be suspect.  This site might help,
http://www.scottish-monumental-inscriptions.com/

Skoosh.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 April 13 12:51 BST (UK) »
Moonstar, as you know to view records on Scotland's People you need to purchase credits, so it might be helpful if you can post the parts of records you need help to decipher here, so we can all have a look (as you can't expect others to purchase credits to view records of your ancestors) - the 1870 death for example.

Offline Moonstar36

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 April 13 15:42 BST (UK) »
OH! I never meant for anyone to go to that kind of trouble...please forgive me!!  :-[

I have been on the other  thread where you post such and got a reply which may answer why Isabelle left Scotland...as it shows he died a pauper.

I am just not sure these are the right Ross's...I dont know why but its one of those feelings you get...I'm looking at some other sites on the pages re Ross and Cromarty....but feel quite frustrated as I am never quite sure how or what I am looking at ...so I have set up and account with Familysearch to see where that leads me as I can see that replies have included searches from there... I just dont understand why I can see so much about others  and mine seem to lead to nowhere well almost..and dont seem to be able to confirm their actual existence apart from Census which as has already been suggested can be suspect
.....(sorry for the groan here not at you but so desparate to find these people as its that link that will confirm at least one Scottish side of my family and to know they are not far..guess others must feel the same)

Is there another name for Peter in Scots??? wondering if my mother (now deceased, and did a lot of 'remembering' with her before she died)) or grandmother (Isabellas daughter) may have got name in more popular form?
Ross, McComas & Munro - Ross & Cromarty, Redshaw, Palfreeman, Robson & Marshall -Yorkshire, Broun/Brown & Mackenzie - West Lothian, Wood - Kent, Hartley- Lancs, Deacon - Northants

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 April 13 18:36 BST (UK) »
Just adding the link to this old post for background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=353620.0

Also, for further info, this link to the deciphering board www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,644849.0.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Moonstar36

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 April 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that , I knew I had posted some while ago but couldnt see where it was.Will need to reabsorb that again.... some fits now and some doesnt seem to.....

off to have a read and try to get my head round it.... :)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 April 13 12:13 BST (UK) »
Peter & Patrick were often interchangeable, MS.

Skoosh.

Offline Moonstar36

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 April 13 12:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Skoosh.. :)