Author Topic: Marriage of John Cowlishaw and Sarah Smith  (Read 3312 times)

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of John Cowlishaw and Sarah Smith
« on: Wednesday 24 April 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
The 1851 Census for Sutton-cum-Duckmanton has John (age 31) and Sarah (age 34) with 4 children the eldest being born in about 1844. Sarah was born in Weston Underwood (Mugginton parish?). Their youngest daughter is named Elizabeth Smith Cowlishaw and they have a visitor Sarah Smith aged 75, widow, also from Weston Underwood.
I think it is a reasonable assumption that Sarah's maiden name was 'Smith' but I can't find any marriage record for John and Sarah Smith for around about 1843 (or for any other year for that matter). Can anyone help please?
Thanks
Andy
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John Cowlishaw and Sarah Smith
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

There is this marriage

June Q 1843
Sheffield
John Cowlishaw
Sarah Smith is one of the brides

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
That will be the one, I didn't think to look into Yorkshire  ::)
You are making a good habit of coming to my rescue Carol, thank you.

Andy
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
You may or may not have accepted the Yorkshire marriage.........here, for your information are a few entries in the Sutton cum Duckmanton registers......

children of John and Sarah Cowlishaw:-

George baptised 22.02.1846
James baptised 06.03.1853
Mary baptised 05.08.1854.........these are the only children of John and Sarah at Sutton...up to 1854.....However!!!!!

There is a marriage of one HENRY COWLISHAW (son of John profession Blacksmith) to Elizabeth Renshaw 07.12.1867........

..and a marriage of Henry's daughter:-

MARY JANE COWLISHAW (aged 21) daughter of Henry Cowlishaw (Blacksmith) to JOHN REDDISH 12.10.1892...........

You will be aware that by 1861 John has remarried to Jemima????(Norfolk 1855)

Further perusal of the Sutton cum Duckmanton Burials reveals the following:

James baptised 06.03.1853..was buried 14.05.1854 aged 14 months.........

SARAH COWLISHAW having seen her daughter Mary baptised  05.08.1854..died 06.08.1854...............aged 38

..another little snippet..John Cowlishaw Blacksmith of Duckmanton died 01.01.1902....left his worldly goods of £646.16s.4pence..to his son George (Blacksmith) and to James.(Farmer).son by his second marriage..Probate 31.01.1902

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 April 13 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Derek,

I've found John & Sarah's first son Henry born in Wingerworth in Q4 1843. I think the daughter Mary's birth may have co-incided with Sarah's death as there is a death of a Sarah Cowlishaw recorded in Chesterfield in Q3 1854.
I believe John's second wife was Jemima Clarissa Tillett, they were married in Sprowston, Norfolk on the 13th November 1855. The had two children as far as I can see, Robert Charles in 1856 in and James in 1858 (the James born in 1853 must have died as an infant) both in Sutton if the Census record can be believed.
Elizabeth Smith Cowlishaw was born in about 1850 according to the 1851 Census, interestingly her name was changed to Elizabeth Sarah Cowlishaw by the 1861 Census date.

Andy
Cowlishaw Derbyshire