Author Topic: 1829 Catholic/Protestant marriage mystery  (Read 10129 times)

Offline MoranD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1829 Catholic/Protestant marriage mystery
« on: Wednesday 24 April 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
Records show a marriage of John Moran / Margaret Dempsey in a Protrstant church Waterford city in November 1829. Another marriage shows a couple of the same name married in Catholic church in Carrickmon Suir in August 1830. All baptism certs for children to parents of these names are in St Johns Catholic parish Waterford city. One of these children my great grandfather.

Is it likely that John and Margaret were married in both churches?

If so does it indicate that one had been a Protrstant, one Catholic?

I believe John died 1881 but can't burial record or grave

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1829 Catholic/Protestant marriage mystery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 19:45 BST (UK) »
Waterford library www.waterfordlibrary.ie has a Burials register :)

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 20:33 BST (UK) »
I have recorded all inscriptions in Protestant graveyards in Waterford City, i cant find a John Moran in any of them.

Offline MoranD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your replies and thanks for looking up your records Vasaborg.

Could it have been usual during those times to marry in both churches? I suspect that this couple, married in both churches was one in the same, based on 2 facts.
1) unusual name combination - it's the only combination of these two names being married in all the records.
2) only 1 family - all children married to a couple with these names appear in the same parish.

Stumped...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:49 BST (UK) »
It could have been a mixed marriage- when you say "Records show a marriage of John Moran / Margaret Dempsey in a Protrstant church Waterford city in November 1829" do you mean it was a marriage in the Church of Ireland or was it another Protestant denomination?

If it was a mixed marriage in a non-Catholic church possibly the 1830 ceremony 10 months after the first one was to make the union legitimate in the eyes of the Catholic church. When was the first child baptised? wondering if the baptism could have been conditional upon the marriage of the parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MoranD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 22:24 BST (UK) »
Interesting thought Aghadowey.
The Protestant wedding was actually In St Patricks Church of Ireland.

The CI wedding was 17 Nov 1829. The Carrick on Suir RC one was 1st October 1830.
I have RC baptism certs in St Johns for all but the first child Ellen. Ellens 2 marriage certs stated RC.
Her second cert on 16 October 1876 specified age to be 45 yrs old. So she was born between October 1830 and October 1831.
The second child was baptised 4th Aug 1832.

Are you thinking that Ellen may have been baptised Church of Ireland? Haven't seen the CI baptism records...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
I was thinking that the parents could have gotten married in Church of Ireland in Nov.1829 but then 10 months later something happened to make a 2nd (Catholic) ceremony take place (birth of 1st child, family pressure, etc.) or that perhaps the priest wouldn't baptise child unless they were married in the eyes of the Catholic Church.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MoranD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 22:50 BST (UK) »
Seems logical Aghadowey. Hopefully the CI baptism records will show that one of the parents was Church of Ireland... Gotta get to the bottom of this one    ???

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 23:29 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure to what extent it affected the validity of marriages in Ireland but, for England and Wales, 1829 was significant as the year of catholic emancipation.  Up to that time catholic marriages in England and Wales were not recognised by the state, but, I think did happen, but often in addition to a marriage in the local CoE parish (sometimes on the same day).

Is it possible that the couple were both catholic and wished to take advantage of the fact that they could now have an "official" catholic marriage.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)