Author Topic: Desperately seeking Daisy  (Read 2320 times)

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Daisy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 April 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone

I thought I would update you on my progress.  I think I have found her, but I cannot be 100% sure.

I searched last night just under the initials D M S born 1882 in Berkshire and came across a female D M S born around 1880, birth place unknown as a patient at Cane Hill Lunatic Asylum.  Of course I cannot say for certain this is Daisy, but it's the closest match I have found so far.

I have also e-mailed the archive at Bethlem Royal Hospital Museum to see if they have a date for Daisy's admittance to help narrow down the search.

Here's a picture of Daisy's gravestone.  It was the beautiful little primroses that caught my eye at first, then of course the inscription on the stone.

Hannah - Isle of Man, Kensington.  Cousins - Northamptonshire, Kensington.  Poulsum - Monmouthshire.  Carpenter - Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire.  Turner - Berkshire.  Vincent - Wiltshire.  Beachus - Wales

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 April 13 13:39 BST (UK) »

Let us know if you find out any more :)

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 April 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
I received a replay from the Bethlem Royal Hospital Archive this morning.

Daisy Spencer was admitted to Bethlem Royal Hospital twice: first in 1903 (for seven months), and then in 1911 (from 10 April to her death on 21 August. In the interim, she was resident at Camberwell House (from 15 December 1909 to 8 June 1910) and at Essex County Asylum in Brentwood (immediately prior to her second admission to Bethlem).

So it would seem that her history with mental health issues was a long one and not a sudden spiral into despair I was imagining. 

So according to the above she was a patient at Essex County Asylum immediately prior to her last admittance to Bethlem.  Of course on the night the 1911 Census was taken she could have been elsewhere.
Hannah - Isle of Man, Kensington.  Cousins - Northamptonshire, Kensington.  Poulsum - Monmouthshire.  Carpenter - Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire.  Turner - Berkshire.  Vincent - Wiltshire.  Beachus - Wales

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 April 13 14:24 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness I have just found her.  D S born 1884 Cookham Berkshire, previous occupation, governess, a patient at Essex County Asylum.

The Bethlem Archives did offer to send me her admittance and medical records for a fee of £10 and being the noisy cow that I am the offer is very very tempting.  I'm not sure the husband would be as enthusiastic about it though.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help finding Daisy.  I feel I know her a little bit better.  Next time I am at the cemetery I shall spend a little time with her.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 April 13 16:55 BST (UK) »
Glad you've found out so much. Bethlem Archives are obviously very helpful. If you do order her records you will find them very interesting but quite likely upsetting as well. I have my g grandfather's asylum records and am very glad to have them, despite some distressing details.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge