Author Topic: Which cemetery in Birkenhead  (Read 1668 times)

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Which cemetery in Birkenhead
« on: Wednesday 24 April 13 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I am looking for my gtgrandfathers burial place. All I have to go on ,is that he died in Birkenhead at The Little Sisters of the Poor and aged Home Birkenhead on the 13 July 1887 and was buried on the 15th July 1887 at the public Cemetery Cheshire. I am sure it must have a name
because there will be more than one cemetery.
Hope someone can help.
Thank you

Offline The-5th-Kings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which cemetery in Birkenhead
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Without a name of the person i cannot be sure but i would this you would be looking for flaybrick cemetery. Hope this helps.

Colin

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
I've searched for people who have died in this home in the past.  As stated, Flaybrick (Hill) is where they are buried.  Should imagine it would be the catholic section as usual. Chances are the grave would be unmarked as this home was a charitable institution and the inmates generally destitute. Don't take that as gospel though (no pun).
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline patbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 04:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are two cemeteries in Birkenhead.  Flaybrick Hill Cemetery on Tollemache Road and
Landican Cemetery on Arrowpark Road.  I have passed The Little Sisters of the Poor House
for the aged on Parkfield Avenue many times when I was a little girl.  My mother always put money in the Poor Box that was on the wrought iron gates.  The big house sat in a large piece of
propery with a lovely garden. The nuns were very sweet and gentle.  They used to make the
hosts for communion for the convent school I went to and I would go an pick them up.  Hope
you find the information on your uncle that you are searching.

Patb

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 June 13 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

I looked up the burial details for you - they are held on microfilm at Birkenhead Central Library and also at Wirral Archives -

Flaybrick is the correct cemetery -

Burial 15/7/1887  Michael Doyle age 68  Labourer  address Home for the Aged Parkfield Avenue.
Roman Catholic Section 2 grave number 375(public grave)

Unfortunately the public graves in Flaybrick  are not marked so there won't be a headstone.

Like Patb I can remember the Home which was run by the order of nuns called The Little Sisters Of the Poor.
It was a big house with a lovely garden-as schoolchildren we used to go there to sing carols at
Christmas.
I also remember visiting a great great aunt of mine who was a resident there.
The nuns were very kind and everyone was well cared for.

Hope this helps

Regards

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk