Author Topic: Too many Morgans!  (Read 11234 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Too many Morgans!
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 31 October 21 03:42 GMT (UK) »
update.

As a result of a post on a completely unrelated thread I found the existence of PERSI on FindMyPast. I had no idea it was there.

In a 1901 issue of 'The Genealogical Magazine Vol 5 issue 56". I found this query.

John Morgan of the Inner Temple

I am seeking, for genealogical purposes, the birth and parentage of one John Morgan, of the Inner Temple, admitted a member of that society January 30 1765; called to the Bar February 8, 1771. He was a friend and contemporary of William Murray, afterwards Earl of Mansfield. It was said of these two lawyers that "The English Bar must ever command respect whilst it had Murray's eloquence and Morgan's integrity".
This John Morgan, who was cousin to Sir Chaloner Ogle, died August 30, 1803, in St. George's, Southwark, London, and in the burial register of that parish is the following entry: "3rd Sept., 1803 -John Morgan, late of Wotton Place, St George's Fields". He married Sarah ______ , and by her had issue five children, the eldest daughter, Maria, marrying in 1798 John, third Earl Carhampton (extinct). The arms of this branch of the Morgan family are, "Per pale az. and gu., three lions rampant arg."  and I find the same coat of arms is borne by the Earls of Pembroke, and note that William ap David ap Morgan, Esq, married Joan, daughter and heir of William Herbert, Esq., son of Philip, a younger son of William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke.
Arthur Edward JACKSON, 79, St Giles Street, Norwich

So OrganicJohn, I don't know if this will get us anywhere, but I hope so.
I frustratingly have to go out, so won't get to this for another 24 hours. But had a quick look at Sir Chaloner OGLE. I assume the one mentioned here is the younger of the two in Wikipedia  who would be a contemporary, rather than the other one who was Admiral of the Fleet but died 1750

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Chaloner_Ogle,_1st_Baronet

Re the address of the enquirer, 79 St Giles Street Norwich.  The descendants of Richard MORGAN (son of John) lived in St Giles Street.  Will have to look up exact details.

Also - I only have 4 children, not 5.

Maria c 1776-1857
Richard 1780-1852
Amelia 1782-1849
Edward 1785-1869

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 10:11 BST (UK) »
Having another look at the Morgans. Have come to the conclusion that John Morgan of the Inner Temple was probably not related to the John Morgan,solicitor, and his brothers who were involved in the law suit involving Sir Watkin Lewes. However I do think that John Morgan of the Inner Temple was the brother of my GtX4 grandfather David Walter Morgan and uncle of his son John Drigue Morgan (my gtX3 grandfather) .I am now looking at Ann Morgan (1764-1835)  sister of John Drigue Morgan .She may have married a Thomas Morgan (1763-1830) in 1803. I would like to trace a connection between him and the Morgan family involved with Watkin Lewes. If he was that could explain the inheritance by Ann Morgan of "farms near Carmarthen" mentioned in the will of Ann`s brother John Drigue Morgan written in 1832. Her husband would just have died and thus she would inherit his estate. I would like to think the court case mentioned in the will was that involving Watkin Lewes and the Morgan brothers  which was at that time unresolved.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 10:46 BST (UK) »
I don’t believe Ann Morgan (sister of John Drigue, and daughter of David Walter) married

Hopefully notice will attach. (Courtesy title of Mrs)
As I think it would also say “relict” or widow of Thomas Morgan. However am willing to be convinced otherwise.

But I don’t know how to account for that note in the Will about the small farms in Carmarthen. I haven’t done a full transcript of it. I should, but it is night here and I find those are best tackled while somewhat awake!
Can you read the name of the person in the notes to Mrs Osborn who was given another letter (unfortunately not included in the probate docs)?

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 10:57 BST (UK) »
If you mean the 29 Apr 1803 marriage between Ann Morgan and Thomas Morgan….both of them make their mark. I am quite sure “our” Ann would have been fully literate.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 13:29 BST (UK) »
I don`t quite follow which notes to Mrs Osborne you are refering. Ann died at the the home of her sister Elizabeth (Mrs Osborne) in Greenwich. I agree that the signing of the wedding document with a cross suggests this is the wrong person. Perhaps she did not marry. Was the use of a "courtesy"Mrs in a death notice a normal practice?
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 20:13 BST (UK) »
John Drigue’s will. Has two letters/notes to his sister, Mrs Osborne after the main will.
It is one of them that mentions the two small farms in Carmarthen

I do agree BTW, that the hypothesis that John Morgan of the Inner Temple must be connected to this family in some way is the best one we have so far.  But there are facets I do not like,

I have just typed up and deleted a small discussion, but I should properly reference it, so I’ll have another go later.

Yes. A  woman of standing could be referred to as Mrs (short for Mistress)  especially if older.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 05:02 BST (UK) »

Can you read the name of the person in the notes to Mrs Osborn who was given another letter (unfortunately not included in the probate docs)?

he was Arthur Cuthbert Marsh Esq.  Not seeing how that helps if at all.

Link to a few queries I had about transcript of John Drigue’s will

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=865263.msg7354052

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 10:17 BST (UK) »
The will of Mary Nicholas otherwise Nichols of Bath written 8th August 1835, proved 3 March 1837.

talks about the death and intestacy of my late cousin (I think that is what it says) John Nicholas of _______ in the county of Carmarthen Esq 'I succeed as tenant in tail and as his sole heiress at Law etc.

'messuages farms and lands called ......... and ........siutate in the parish of
 New Church? in the county of Carmarthen aforesaid. And whereas by my will
bearing date the twelfth day of May one thousand eight hundred and twenty eight
I gave and devised to my friend Colonel John Drigue Morgan (who is since dead)
all my houses and tenements al all my landed property in the county of
Carmarthen aforesaid

and she wants to be buried at Walcot, by
"my late father and sister Morgan Nicholas otherwise Morgan Nichols and Martha Nichols"

So John Nicholas died intestate. It must have been his estate that was tied up and mentioned in John Drigue's will.  -- Did John Drigue know Mary had bequeathed him the farms, and so he expected that bequest to carry over to Ann?   Perhaps the will of 1828 did say that. But by the time Mary rewrote her will both John and Ann had died.

Morgan Nichols/Nicholas was born c 1832, 1732, died 1817.   He may be the 1759 marriage to Mary Gifford
and Mary Nichols, wife of Morgan was buried Bristol 1774.

Martha born 1760, died 1822

added - Morgan Nicholas was apprenticed in 1754 to Fras. Labee surgeon of Bristol. the premium was £50!

Edited for date.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 20:10 BST (UK) »
It seems quite clear that the "farms near Carmarthen" were part of the estate of Mary Nicholas and my theory involving the  nefarious Morgan brothers (John,Chardin etc) was a flight of fancy on my part. They were probably unrelated to "my" Morgans. Thanks for putting me right on that .
There is still the lack of information on William Morgan, father of David Walter Morgan and John Morgan of the Inner Temple and their involvement with the Olmius family