Author Topic: John Outrim WASCOE and Mary ROBERTS at Wattle Flat  (Read 2842 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John Outrim Wascoe and Mary Roberts at Wattle Flat
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 April 13 12:26 BST (UK) »
Re Mary ROBERTS

See the Deceased Estates index at this link:

John O WASCOE’s death 17 Oct 1891, but DUTY PAID 9 March 1927 or 9 March 1892 as per index….  If 1927 then that’s suggesting there was some lengthy delays involved, perhaps across generations and the Probate Packet should be full of family history information with delays to 1927 to bring to account….

There’s also two Insolvency files (1846 and 1870) for John Outram WASCOE…  (slightly different spelling of middle name)

And there’s Publicans Licenses files and a Railway Employment Record file too ….

Try the Keyname Search option ….

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-online

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John Outrim Wascoe and Mary Roberts at Wattle Flat
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 April 13 13:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks JM
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Outrim WASCOE and Mary ROBERTS at Wattle Flat
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 April 13 10:38 BST (UK) »
I think I may have found Mary ROBERTS ….. not sure, but John Outram WASCOE was a publican, and so too was a Mary ROBERTS, and earlier a Richard ROBERTS.    Perhaps the probate packets will hold some answers….

I must stress though that I am SPECULATING, and I am usually way off the mark when I venture down “On Spec” path….

From the Bathurst Free Press for Monday 20 June, 1892

“Mary Roberts, Farmer’s Arms, Vale Road”  ….. Licensing Court, Renewals granted
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/62728107

Noting that the NSW SRO has a Richard ROBERTS as licencee for The Farmer’s Arms, Vale Road, BATHURST in 1858    http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/searchform.aspx?id=69&new=1

I can see that a Richard ROBERTS was the publican at the Farmer’s Arms, Vale Road in 1881 (NSW Govt Gazette)

I can see a Probate Packet for a Richard ROBERTS of Bathurst with Death as 23 March 1888 and Duty Paid 31 July 1888.

NSW Electoral Rolls 1870 and 1878 BATHURST
Richard ROBERTS, of Vale Road, a freeholder in Kepple Street

NSW ER 1903 MACQUARIE, polling at Bathurst
There’s quite a few with the surname ROBERTS including TWO entries for Mary ROBERTS, of Rankin St, both are listed with the occupation ‘domestic duties’.   

http://www.bathurstfhg.asn.au/pregSurnames.shtml    There’s 39 entries for the surname ROBERTS on the Bathurst family history group’s Pioneer Register. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 April 13 10:41 BST (UK) »
Richard ROBERTS funeral announcement

"THE Friends of the late RICHARD ROBERTS are respectfully invited to attend his Funeral,   ..... from his late Residence, "Farmers' Arms," Vale Road, ......."
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/62219675   Bathurst Free Press 24 March 1888

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 April 13 11:07 BST (UK) »
If you go through the marriage index, then the births and deaths indexes at NSW BDM online, you will find a possible marriage and then births (sadly some infant deaths) for a Richard ROBERTS and Mary MORIARTY, married 1856 at Bathurst NSW.

It is likely you would not have all the family history information available on the NSW BDM register copy of that marriage, and if this were for my own family research, I would NOT order certificates from NSW BDM, but I would seek out an official transcription of the NSW BDM birth registration for the youngest child.... as that document ought to give me details for all the older siblings, including one named John (perhaps as in John O Wascoe ... although John was and is a very very popular first name) and it would also give the details of when married .... 

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/familyHistory.htm

If you suspect Mary may have been a blood relative of John O WASCOE (or his famous Uncle, or kin anyways,) so if you do venture to seek out the 1856 mc, please only seek out the official transcription .... and then work through the elusive blanks you will find on that 1856 record .... here's a thread I did up re those elusive blanks ....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

And lastly, but certainly not leastly .... this thread re transcriptions is important

Transcription Agents
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 April 13 11:48 BST (UK) »
1891, Jno Outram WASCOE was listed as a householder at the sub-district of Wattle Flat, in the District of Bathurst, and the County of Roxburgh ....  (the actual image shows just one person in that particular household at Wattle Flat) The census was taken April 5, 1891, BUT only the collector’s books remain.  A commercial website has uploaded images from those collector’s books.   If you are able to get to the NSW SRO reading rooms at Kingswood, then reel 2518 covers Wattle Flat (and several other sub districts). 

http://heatgg.org.au/he/databases/1891-nsw-census/28-q-bathurst-wattle-flat/

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/census-records/1891-census/1891-census

Cheers,  JM  (I think I have exhausted my offline and online resources .... at least I cannot think of any other likely place to find Mary ROBERTS at the moment).

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 April 13 12:03 BST (UK) »
Brilliant! Am so appreciative of your efforts. I have just moved to Penrith, so am excited to know of the Kingswood site so close
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 April 13 12:14 BST (UK) »
JM, the census page is a wealth of family members..McPeake & Matthews my 2xgt grandfathers, Mcatamneys, Dowlings, Johnson, Canrick are all 2x gt aunts & uncles!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 April 13 12:21 BST (UK) »
 :) :)  :) You have my permission to load up your sleeping bag, pack an esky with lots of sandwiches, and take your thermos and Anzac Biscuits by the bucket load and move into the Kingswood Archives .... leave the food and goodies in their locker room, but .....

there's miles and miles and miles of shelves full of very important archive material held there.  Only some of those archives are indexed and there's various volunteer projects indexing some of the rest ....

The staff are all very competent and if you are not yet familiar with the centre there, a big smile, loads of the two magic words we all know well, and a good listening ear, well ..... you may need to let your family know that you are changing your address ... this time to 143 O'Connell Street, Kingswood ....  (I have a cousin who is a former archivist with NSW SRO, cousin is now retired)....

I must stress that I am only speculating from my armchair as to the Mary ROBERTS whose name is recorded on that Headstone at Wattle Flat.   You will be Brilliant when you have researched through all the records I have suggested you seek out at NSW SRO .... It could be several days full on at the archives .... :)   And there's several RChatters who go there regularly, (not me anymore) who could be of help to you there....  ;D

I am over the moon re your family names....  My NSW families were in the Bathurst district very shortly after Mr Cox built the road across .... and they kept going west ! 

Cheers,  JM