Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4  (Read 71754 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4
« Reply #234 on: Saturday 30 January 21 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Re Leo Halpin.  Captain Robert Charles Halpin had 3 daughters only one of whom married, later in life.  It is understood that the Captain has no living descendants.
A Leo Francis Halpin was born 2 March 1903 in Bootle Lancashire died Ormskirk Lancs 1970.  Is this your man?  He has been researched at Ancestry.
His father is shown as Thomas F Halpin born Co Clare 1853 died Liverpool area 1929, unrelated I am afraid to the Wicklow Halpins.
I thought I saw recently a query about a Halpin family from Louth.  I can't locate that query atm unfortunately.

Offline GillyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Saturday 30 January 21 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bill that was very kind of you to provide me with that info you are a star. Yes this is the Leo Halpin from Bootle that I was looking for .unfortunately I have not been able to find any further information on his Father or mother other than their names birth dates and were they were born. I will keep plodding on backwards .once again thanks for your help.

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Saturday 20 March 21 14:03 GMT (UK) »
There have been several mentions of Mary Anne Isabella (Bella) Halpin who was the daughter of Nicholas John Halpin of the Customs Office.  Bella married the Dublin solicitor, William David Bradley and Bella and William are my great-grandparents.  My great-aunt, Doris Bradley, who I knew well, was the youngest daughter of Bella and William Bradley, who both died in 1897 when my great-aunt Doris was only three years old.  When Doris died two photos were found in a trunk she kept under her bed.  On the back of the photos the photographer had written ‘The late Mrs Bradley 1897’ and so they were taken very shortly before Bella died.  One of the photos shows Bella with my great-aunt Doris.  Doris must have treasured these photos of Bella Halpin, the mother she never knew.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Saturday 20 March 21 14:24 GMT (UK) »
There have been several mentions of Mary Anne Isabella (Bella) Halpin who was the daughter of Nicholas John Halpin of the Customs Office.  Bella married the Dublin solicitor, William David Bradley and Bella and William are my great-grandparents.  My great-aunt, Doris Bradley, who I knew well, was the youngest daughter of Bella and William Bradley, who both died in 1897 when my great-aunt Doris was only three years old.  When Doris died two photos were found in a trunk she kept under her bed.  On the back of the photos the photographer had written ‘The late Mrs Bradley 1897’ and so they were taken very shortly before Bella died.  One of the photos shows Bella with my great-aunt Doris.  Doris must have treasured these photos of Bella Halpin, the mother she never knew.

Here's Doris Evelyn with her younger brother William David in the 1901 census in Vesey Place, Kingstown.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Kingstown/Vesey_Place/1318373/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Saturday 20 March 21 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Interesting photo - I haven't seen that photo - be interested where it came from and how you know the identity of the people.  Thanks. 

Offline roberta halpenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 15:00 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the name Halpenny- William Ousley Halpenny 1777-1815 married to Margaret Esther Giltrap 1780-1841.  I believe William's parents are William Michael Halpenny born around 1739 through 1750 married to Jane Janet Delaney.  Everyone is from Wicklow in Ireland.  I am stuck finding proof of both William's parents.  So I figured it would be better to start at WO (1777) and work my way back.  I have read through this thread and I am wondering if Halpin was the parent to the oldest WIlliam.  Any thoughts on when they became the Wicklow Halpenny's did some of the family drop Halpin and pick up Halpenny?  Could it have been a Halfpenny to Halpenny?  Will my DNA show a link to a Halpin and will that give a better understanding?  I could get my oldest half brother to do a DNA test- he is the oldest living male of our line of Halpenny's.  I understand three families immigrated to USA/ CANADA and I am one of those lines.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 17:58 GMT (UK) »

Christ Church Delany (Co Wicklow) Registers have a number of Halfpenny/Halfepenny folk, including, in Volume 2, a William baptised 22 Sept 1782 to William and Jane Halfpenny.

See:
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/AngRecord/Delgany/Delgany-Vol-2.pdf

Regards

Offline Granamore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Monday 12 April 21 18:49 BST (UK) »
Apologies if this is a little off-topic, but I hoped some readers of this thread might be able to help me.

I, too, am descended from Halpins of Co. Wicklow but unlike the families discussed here, my lot were Catholic peasant farmers in the hills of west Co. Wicklow, around Hollywood.
My direct ancestors were based at Granamore (7km south-east of Hollywood) and I can trace them back to William and Ann Halpin, who married in 1812 at the church of Blackditches, now Valleymount.  However, in the adjoining townland of Corragh, Darby (Dermot) and Elizabeth Halfpenny were baptising their children during the 1780s, while at Johnstown (2km east of Hollywood) two couples - Patrick and Anna Halfpenny and Darby (Dermot) Halfpenny and Brigid Nugent, were also baptising their children in the 1780s and 1790s.

Like their namesakes in Wicklow town, these families tend to be referred to as Halfpenny or Halpenny in the late 18th/early 19th centuries but as Halpin from the early 19th century onwards.  I am sure that the Granamore and Corragh Halpins are related (and probably also the Johnstown Halpins) but it seems the documentary proof of this does not survive.

Could these Catholic, peasant Halpins be related to the Protestant, middle-class Halpins of Wicklow town?  The socio-cultural distance between them may have been great but the physical distance was not.  If any reader of this thread could give me any information or advice on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

And finally, it may be entirely coincidental - but in view of some comments here about relations between the Halpins of Wicklow and the Beresfords, it may be worth mentioning that the Halpins of Granamore, Corragh and Johnstown were all tenants of the Beresford estate.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Sunday 18 April 21 08:13 BST (UK) »
I never rule out a possible connection.
The Halpins from Wicklow go back in the records of the COI church there to at least the mid 1700s bearing the names Halfpenny or Halpenny.
Roberta (above) correctly raises the subject of male Y-DNA, possibly the only way of possibly ruling in or definitely ruling out relationship.  For this you need direct male line descendants (so with one of the surnames in question).
It galls me that I think I have sole remaining male Halpin descendants here in New South Wales, father and son, and both firmly reject testing.  I can't make them, I can only keep asking.  (They descend from George Halpin in Dublin, brother we believe of James Halpin of the Bridge Hotel in Wicklow Town.)