Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4  (Read 71765 times)

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4
« Reply #36 on: Friday 30 August 13 01:59 BST (UK) »
Ray, I'm pretty certain that the oath was one of loyalty to the monarch, which only Protestants could take. At least, that's how it was in 1660s.
"Documents connected with the City of Kilkenny Militia in the 17th & 18th centuries."
A Nicholas Halfpenny ( who had been Portreve of Irish Town in 1662) was in the muster parade of the qualified citizens (of Kilkenny) bearing arms, held at the Butts (shooting range) on 8 April 1667.
 “It will be seen that the foregoing was a muster of every qualified citizen capable of bearing arms...
It should be observed, however, that only the Protestant citizens were qualified to serve, as Roman Catholics could not take the oath of supremacy, without which no one could, under the then existing law, serve the State.”
©1855 Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland. 

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 30 August 13 02:03 BST (UK) »

Someone called for a fresh election.

Mr. Edwards - I do not think the proposition to proceed to a fresh election can be entertained.  With the exception of Mr McCarroll, we were all perfectly competent to record our votes and did so.  Mr McCarroll is surely a man of sense and ought to know that he could not act as a town commissioner without first taking the oath.  His action tends to place us all in a very serious position.

Mr McCarroll said if he was ineligible for election his vote was also invalid, and the election must, therefore, be void.

Mr Desaix asked again that the secretary be allowed to read the letter containing the solicitor's opinion.

The Chairman - If Mr McCarroll wishes to take the oath I think he is entitled to do so.

Mr Doolittle - Your solicitor has sent in an opinion which bears very strongly on this subject.  I call upon you, Mr Chairman, to let the secretary read it.

The secretary was about to make an observation with reference to the letter when he was silenced by the chairman.

Mr Edwards - I think our secretary [Edwards actually said "our" secretary] has a perfect right to be heard.  (hear hear)

The Chairman - I have known secretaries to be very 'officious', and to do things in a very dubious way, and in a manner they were not authorised to do.**  This young gentleman is not our secretary at all.  Whatever I might do with a fully-qualified secretary, I should not be justified in allowing him to make statements to the board.

Captain Halpin - I think the chairman speaks like an advocate.

Mr Edwards said Mr Halpin, junr., was their secretary pro tem, and was entitled to act as his father would do.  His father had often kept them out of difficulties by producing papers at the right moment.  The letter in question seemed to have a very important bearing on the subject under discussion, and it certainly could do no harm to read it.

The Chairman - I have to find fault with Mr Halpin for obtaining opinions without the authority of the board.

Mr Halpin denied that either he or his father had anything to do with obtaining the opinion. 

Mr McCarroll - I again demand to have the oath administered to me.

The Chairman - I cannot refuse to allow Mr McCarroll to take the oath.

Considerable confusion ensued, several commissioners insisting on the letter being read, and the chairman refusing to allow it.  In the midst of the squabble, Mr McCarroll whipped round to the side of the secretary, snatched up the book, and administered the oath to himself, Bradlaugh fashion, before anyone could interfere.

After the resulting hullabaloo settled down, Mr Edwards asked the chairman if he intended to hold a fresh election.  When the chairman said he did, Mr Edwards left the hall in a huff.

Mr Doolittle, smarting from the fact that he would not be elected to a position on the Harbour Board, and without any apparent self-respect, observed that from a conversation he had had that day with Mr Burkitt, he understood that the commissioners would be liable to a fine for allowing a person to sit and act at their board who was not duly qualified.  It didn't seem to bother Mr Doolittle that 'his' secretary, Mr Robert Halpin junr, was not "duly qualified" either. 

The Chairman - When I took my seat here it was with the determination not to allow any underhanded business to be carried on.  If it is necessary to put any question to the solicitor it should have been done through the board.  They could not know how the solicitor had been instructed in the present case.

Mr Doolittle - Then let us have the letter read.  If you do, there will be less of the underhanded work you so decry.  (hear)  It is the duty of every commissioner to respect the law and the oath he has taken, and it is furthermore his right to protect himself from the consequences of illegal conduct if insisted on, and I may tell you that, for the future, while I sit at this board, I do not intend to allow myself to be polite or passive enough to be "barked down" by anyone.  (hear hear)

Some desultory conversation ensued, after which the meeting was adjourned.

*For The Betterment of the People: A History of Wicklow County Council, by Brian Donnelly, published by Wicklow County Council (1999).

**Mr Smyth is here referring to the tendency of R W Halpin, who had been Town Clerk for forty years, to deliberately manipulate proceedings if and when he could, in order to secure outcomes that favoured his patrons.  In practice he had learned to be somewhat Machiavellian, but at heart he was a Radical, favouring the abolition of the landlord system and the introduction of Home Rule.  He and a former Chairman of the Board, Francis Wakefield, were very like-minded when it came to reform and, despite class differences, remained very close friends after Wakefield stepped away from local politics in the mid-1870s.  The irony is that despite what the above exchange might imply, R W Halpin and Mr McCarroll had a great deal in common.

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 30 August 13 02:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ken.  I guessed as much.  After Catholic Emancipation in 1828 (which the Rev. N J Halpin had been enlisted to obstruct), life improved (a little) for Catholics.  And after the Famine, it improved a little more.  But it really wasn't until Gladstone arrived that real reform became an issue again.  Parnell and Davitt (among others) initiated the Land Wars in 1879, shortly after which Joe McCarroll emerged from obscurity and rose to prominence.  I'm guessing that Mr McCarroll refused to take the oath on principle - by way of protest.  But I'd like to be certain.  Seeing the oath would help.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 30 August 13 05:23 BST (UK) »
"The Oath of Supremacy, imposed by the Act of Supremacy 1558, provided for any person taking public or church office in England to swear allegiance to the monarch as Supreme Governor of the Church of England. Failure to so swear was a crime, although it did not become treason until 1562, when the Supremacy of the Crown Act 1562[5] made a second offence of refusing to take the oath treason. The Oath was later extended to include Members of Parliament and people studying at universities. All but one of the bishops lost their posts, a hundred fellows of Oxford colleges were deprived; many dignitaries resigned rather than take the oath. The bishops who were removed from the ecclesiastical bench were replaced by appointees who would agree to the reforms."

Text of the Oath as published in 1559:

“ I, (name), do utterly testify and declare in my conscience that the Queen's Highness is the only supreme governor of this realm, and of all other her Highness's dominions and countries, as well in all spiritual or ecclesiastical things or causes, as temporal, and that no foreign prince, person, prelate, state or potentate hath or ought to have any jurisdiction, power, superiority, pre-eminence or authority ecclesiastical or spiritual within this realm; and therefore I do utterly renounce and forsake all foreign jurisdictions, powers, superiorities and authorities, and do promise that from henceforth I shall bear faith and true allegiance to the Queen's Highness, her heirs and lawful successors, and to my power shall assist and defend all jurisdictions, pre-eminences, privileges and authorities granted or belonging to the Queen's Highness, her heirs or successors, or united or annexed to the imperial crown of this realm. So help me God, and by the contents of this Book."
(from Wikipedia)
Of course by the 19th century, it may  have altered. 

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 30 August 13 05:40 BST (UK) »
Ray,
You can look up 'historical oaths of allegiance, Ireland' as the oath did change over the centuries,
Ken

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 30 August 13 09:16 BST (UK) »
Terrific, Ken.  Thanks very much.  Whatever the oath was in 1883, I imagine it wasn't all that different to the one you quote.

By the way, I forgot to give the reference for the above exchange (compressed and paraphrased) in Wicklow's Town Hall - it can be found in The Wicklow-Newsletter, Saturday, September 8, 1883.  My great great grandfather, Robert Wellington Halpin, died less than a month later, on the 2nd October 1883.

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 02 September 13 16:46 BST (UK) »

For the Kents of Wicklow Town.

I've been meaning to type this up for a while, Marie.  Apologies for the delay.

Destructive Fire In Wicklow.

Messrs. Kent’s Mill Burnt Down.

One of the most deplorable and destructive conflagrations which has occurred in Wicklow town within the past fifty years, took place last Saturday evening.  At 4.15 the extensive flour mill belonging to Messrs. Kent and Sons, and situate at the extreme end of the South Quay, was observed on fire, and within the short space of two hours and a half the massive block of buildings was a complete wreck.  How the fire originated is still a matter of conjecture, but the most probable solution is that one of the “journels” of the machinery in the screen room on the fifth storey set fire to the surrounding woodwork.  The mill premises consisted of a large stone building, five storeys high, covering a considerable portion of the ground.  In addition to this building, there was a large meal-store, engine-room, boiler –house, and the detached steam bakery premises.  To the fact that the engine-room and boiler-house were under a separate roof from the main building, and that the wind was blowing in an opposite direction, may be attributed their safety from the flames.  The bakery also escaped, and business is still carried on there.  The engines and boilers are valued at £1,000, and the fine combination of machinery within the main building, which was erected a short time ago by Messrs. Simon, of Manchester, was valued at £3,300.  It is regrettable that all this machinery has been rendered absolutely worthless by the fire, and a few days ago a number of the mill hands were engaged in clearing the debris.  The lofts contained a large quantity of flour and other milling stuffs, and, as before stated, the top or fifth storey was used as a screening-room. 

The particulars of the fire are as follows: - The mill was working as usual all day on Saturday, and at four o’clock work ceased, the mill closed, and the hands paid off.  A few minutes later some sailors standing on what is known as the “Bank,” over the mill, observed smoke issuing through the roof on the south-east corner, and the volume of smoke increasing, an alarm was raised.  A sailor named Davis entered the bakery and informed the clerk, Thomas Mullen, who was the only mill hand near at the time.  Mr Mullen promptly entered the building, which had only been vacated a few minutes previously by the workmen, and ascended to the screening room.  He was, however, forced to retire immediately, owing to the dense smoke, but on a second attempt he gained a footing, and succeeded in opening the front door and affixing the chain used for hoisting flour.  Several other workmen and sailors then reached the loft, and with the help of a few others below a number of buckets of water were hauled up, and thrown where the fire was visible.  A miller named Keogh pluckily cut the water-pipe in the top storey, but it being only an inch thick its effect on the fire was insignificant, consequent on the absence of a hose to direct its course on the immediate spot where the fire existed.  Within ten minutes from the time the alarm was first given, flames burst through the south-east end of the roof, and though the men worked hard it was manifest to everyone that their efforts to save the building were futile.  The wind was S.S.E., and the flames spread so rapidly that within two hours and a half the structure was a mass of ruins.  Mr. M. S. Kent, Mr. Robert Kent, and Mr. R. Armstrong, were early on the scene, and their permission having been obtained by a number of volunteers, a quantity of flour, etc., was removed from the lower storeys.  In fact, this enterprise was attended by the greatest danger to the gallant fellows, who almost risked their lives in their anxiety to save property.  Slates were flying about in all directions, and the burning premises were not vacated until the second storey had collapsed.

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 02 September 13 16:47 BST (UK) »

Owing to the Winter Assize Court sitting, a large number of witnesses, jurors, and others made their way to the scene, and later a vast multitude surrounded the building, though at a respectful distance.  Upwards of one hundred of the Constabulary and the local coastguards were present, but though they appeared willing to save any property possible, the building burned so rapidly that their presence might have been dispensed with at the beginning.  Indeed, it would have been much better for some if a certain police officer was not present.  No doubt, he is a very good officer when alone, but he is responsible for an act which does not reflect very much credit on his discretion.  It appears that behind the western gable of the mill an old lady named Mrs. Corrigan resided in as comfortable and as nest a little cottage as the town can boast of.  Between the gable and the cottage was a slated out-office, filled with coal and lumber, and though there was not the slightest danger at any time of this house taking fire, the police officer directed his men and the coastguards to strip the roof of its slates and leave it there.  And there it was left, with the sparks from the furnace adjoining pouring in on the exposed rafters and the firewood underneath.  But this was not all.  The poor old lady was put outside, her furniture pulled to pieces and put out after her, and there she was forced to sit in the cold, watching her few things for over three hours.  The onlookers, as well as the old lady herself, were against the stripping of the roof, and the action of the authorities was universally condemned.  Who will refund Mrs. Corrigan for this unnecessary damage to her house and premises?  They are not insured, and therefore we advise her to apply to the Inspector-General for compensation. 

We were glad to hear that Messrs. Kent and sons had their premises insured, and during the week the Assurance assessors visited the ruins.  We understand that the offices of this energetic firm have been removed to Fitzwilliam Square, where business will be carried on as usual, and arrangements have been made for the importation of large quantities of flour.  Before concluding, we desire to give expression to an unmistakable feeling which exists in the town respecting the studious neglect of the Town Commissioners in not providing suitable apparata for quenching outbreaks of fire.  The responsibility which this august body have incurred is not a little, and it was evident that had there been available one single line of fire-hose the conflagration, when first observed, could have been easily extinguished.

- from The Arklow Reporter, Saturday, December 13, 1890.

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 08 September 13 09:32 BST (UK) »

The Rev. Robert Charles Halpin of Belsize Park, Hamstead, Senior Chaplain to the Forces, London, is at present visiting his relatives in Wicklow, and is the guest of his cousin, Captain Robert Halpin, at Tinnakilly.
- Wicklow News-Letter, September 27 1884.

It would have been nice if I'd stumbled across this a few years ago.