Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4  (Read 71774 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4
« Reply #45 on: Monday 09 September 13 02:23 BST (UK) »
This report confuses the names of these men.  He, Rev Robert Crawford Halpin, was a guest of his cousin Capt Robert Charles Halpin of Tinakilly.
It further confirms what we have already concluded, that their fathers, Capt William Halpin, formerly Paymaster in the King's German Legion, was a brother of James Halpin of the Bridge Hotel, Wicklow.  William, in many on-the-record situations, declared that he was a native of Wicklow although living most of his life in Dublin and with his sons in London during his declining years.  He died in 1862 aged about 85.
At the time of this report, Rev RC Halpin was 69 and Capt RC Halpin was 48.  So, although they were 1st cousins, these men were almost a generation apart in age.  Tinakilly was newly completed.  To quote from the hotel's website:  'The hotel was originally built by the British government in 1883 for Captain Robert Halpin, commander of "The Great Eastern" and mariner supreme who laid 2,600 miles of telegraphic cable in 1866, joining Europe to America.'

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 14 September 13 20:53 BST (UK) »

Who's Related To Who?

My last post brought to life all of the tough graft Bill and others have put into the detection of familial links between the different branches of the Halpin family.  The sons and grandsons of William and James Halpin had been linked before - through weddings and (in the case of a daughter) through burials.  As Bill says, the clip from the Wicklow Newsletter (dated Sept. 27 1884) further confirms pre-established connections between these families.  But I wonder how many noticed the implications of Reply #33 Fri. 31 May 2013.

Right from the beginning of this investigation, one of the claims my family has consistently made has been that the Halpins of Wicklow, Portarlington and Dublin were connected by blood.  My family has made other claims too, which have been shown to be mistaken (thanks to my own findings and the findings of other contributors to this thread).  But their most consistent contention - that the Halpins I've just mentioned were blood relatives - was one of the reasons why so many Halpin descendants chose to visit this site: they wanted to find out if there was any credence to what appeared to most to be a fantastic claim. 

To the best of my knowledge, no one had ever suggested that George Halpin, light house engineer, was related to Robert Charles Halpin, Captain of the Great Eastern.  Contributors to this site have since proved that claim to be true.  I'd like to go one step further now and suggest that we have enough evidence to make a very strong circumstantial case for the existence of a link between the Wicklow Halpins and the Portarlington Halpins.  The Portarlington Halpin's family tree has been thoroughly scrutinized by us already, and the marriage I'd like to focus on is that of Wm. Henry Halpin and Marianne Crosthwaite (1787).  Their union was a successful one and the couple had many children, the eldest of whom was Nicholas John Halpin (1790 - 1850).  Nicholas grew up to become a clergyman, and married Ann Greham in 1817, moving to Oldcastle a year later.

The Reverend had a reputation for Shakespearean scholarship and anti-Catholic polemic.  In 1837 he resigned as Rector of Oldcastle and moved his family to Dublin to take up the editorship of The Evening Mail.  The Mail was an archly Protestant newspaper at that time, fiercely opposed to Daniel O'Connell's campaign to repeal the Union.  The Reverend's home address in Dublin was Seville Place (Nos 12 or 14 - he seemed to switch between the two), which joins the North Strand Road at the Five Lamps junction.  According to the city's Valuation Books, which I examined last week, George Halpin was the lessor of those properties. 

If you examine Reply #33 Fri. 31 May 2013, I draw your attention to a number of deeds, copies of which I have in my possession, which name George Halpin, the Reverend Robert Crawford Halpin, the Rev. William Gilbert Ormsby (formerly of Clontarf, later of Arklow), as witnesses and signatories to leasehold deeds that list the Northstrand interests of Leland Crosthwaite, Thomas Crosthwaite, and their sons.  Joseph Hone and John Hone were also named in those deeds.  The Hones, which were a family of Bankers and artists, were also Solicitors and can be linked to the legal dispute raging around the ownership of the Bridge Inn Tavern in Wicklow and the sale of George Halpin's properties in Seville Place, which took place in 1920 (Irish Times, Sat. June 12 1920).

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 15 September 13 01:38 BST (UK) »

The Hones and the Crosthwaites were long associates in Dublin's 'high' society.  George Halpin and the Crosthwaite brothers were life-long friends and associates.  Three Crosthwaite daughters married three Allen sons - the Allens being another Dublin banking family. And Lucy Halpin, the daughter of N J Halpin, who was the son of the Reverend N J Halpin, married Richard Allen, a relative of the Allen banking fraternity, at Crosthwaite Park in Kingstown, where one of the Crosthwaite boys lived and worked as a JP (Freeman's Journal, Friday May 2 1879).  This strong social network, which endured for over a century and involved close friendship, personal assistance and in some cases marriage, was typical of Colonial communities the world over. I've been unable to establish the link between the Rev. N J Halpin's mother, Marianne, and the other Crosthwaites.  But I believe the links we've already established make for a very strong circumstantial case for a familial link between the Portarlington Halpins, the Dublin Halpins and the Wicklow Halpins.  If these connections are as solid as I think they are, notwithstanding the work that needs to be done to shore them up, then my family's claim that all three Halpin families were blood relatives appears to be true.

If this claim can be substantiated with a little more solid evidence, it would not mean that my family's other claim - that it is also related to the Halpin clan - is also true.  It simply means that my family was, at the very least, well informed.  And with my great great grandfather Robert Wellington Halpin being Town Clerk for forty years, as well as being Wicklow's Post Master, he was better placed than almost anyone else to be well-informed about one of his home town's most prominent families.  There is also the small matter of a direct rebuttal of any such link between my family and the other Wicklow Halpins, which came from Captain R C Halpin's sister, who ran the Bridge Inn Tavern in Wicklow.  That rebuttal, which was discovered by 'a family researcher', seemed pretty straight-forward.  But in a future post I intend to show how Mrs Halpin's rebuttal might not be as straight-forward as it appears.

Offline denboa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 28 October 13 14:36 GMT (UK) »
As someone new to RootsChat I wonder if I can post a message on your amazingly productive site that only relates marginally to the Halpins? It's to do with the Bradley family of Dublin solicitors, who are connected via the marriage of William David Bradley to Mary Halpin in 1882 and who have cropped up from time to time in your discussions.

I am interested in my wife's ancestors, the Martellis (who have Italian origins and arrived in Ireland in the 1790s). One of them, Joseph Wilson Martelli (c1844-1901) married a sister of William David Bradley, Charlotte Elizabeth (1854-1938). Due to a combination of family misfortunes - the deaths of William David Bradley and Mary Halpin in 1897, the death of Joseph Martelli in 1901 and the disappearance of his wife Charlotte Elizabeth to London soon after that, probably because of alcohol problems - the younger children of both families (Doris and Willie Bradley and Howard Martelli) were brought up together by their grandmother and a maiden aunt, Maria K Bradley, for several years. Willie and Howard went to school together (Monkstown Park in Kingstown/Dun Laoghaire, 1911 census), and then in England (Trent College, for a while at least). The wills of their grandmother Charlotte Bradley (1905) and their aunt Maria Bradley (1913) in the National Archives in Dublin help to throw light on how the three orphans were brought up. Your correspondent 'tompion' mentioned in a posting back in 2010 that he had information about a court case of 1913 brought by the older generation of the Bradleys against Doris and Willie regarding ownership of the Bradley family home Undercliffe in Killiney. I would be very interested to have more information about that dispute and the location of the legal papers. I am also of course happy to pass on any other details I have on the Martelli side that may be of interest to you.
Thanks,
Dennis

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Denboa,  I am the great grandson of William David Bradley and Mary Halpin - Willie and Doris were my great uncle and great aunt. I knew both Willie and Doris, the latter very well as she often stayed with us.  I know about the Martelli's.  I also know some of the  family were brought up by Charlotte Bradley and Maria Bradley but I think that other of the ophaned children were looked after, or certainly were very close to, the family of Mary Halpin's brother, William Henry Halpin, a solicitor in Cavan. 

The legal case you refer to was not a vindictive case by the 'older Bradleys' against the younger ones but was brought as Charlotte left Undercliffe to Willie and Doris and this was not something she could do as she had not inherited the house, but only a share of the house. Thus the elder Bradleys (who were both solicitors) needed to get a judicial view on what should happen etc.  The papers are available in the 'Papers in the Chancery case of Bradley v. Brooke, relating to trusts under the wills of W. G. Bradley and Charlotte Bradley, deceased, 1913. Dublin: Public Record Office, M.3691b (1-6)'.  The Record Office were very helpful and kindly xeroxed them for me at a very modest cost.

Hope that helps, Brian

Offline denboa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 31 October 13 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Brian, for getting back to me and giving me the reference to the court case. It sounds as if I have been reading too much into the situation after looking at the earlier Bradley family wills, but I will look forward to seeing the papers anyway. Have you seen the wills too? I can give you the references to them in the National Archives if you haven't.

Your earlier notes on the Bradley family on this website - both to the generation that William David and Charlotte (Martelli) belong to, and to the children of William David and Mary (Halpin) - were really helpful to me as I was putting together the Martelli family history. Thanks for all of that too. Ours was one of those 'trunk in the attic' stories where my wife and I found all kinds of material relating to the family just before her mother Mary (the older of Howard Martelli's two children) died a couple of years ago. As I was trying to solve the puzzle of how Howard was brought up after he was effectively 'orphaned' in the early 1900s I started seeing the links between him and his two orphaned Bradley orphans, Willie and Doris, who were all about the same age. (I thought until I got your reply that you were a descendant of Doris's and wondered whether some of the information about how the three of them were brought up by their aunt Maria might be of direct interest to you too. Let me know if you have gaps there that I might be able to fill.)

There are a few more things that I am trying to piece together that you might be able to help with. I am pretty sure, working from some old school photos, that Willie Bradley and Howard went to boarding school together at Trent College in Nottinghamshire around 1912-13, but that Willie didn't stay there for long. Might have have been some earlier family link with Trent College? Howard went straight from school in 1915 into the Sherwood Foresters and joined World War 1 on the Western Front, just in time for the battle of the Somme... Do you know if Willie returned to Ireland? They seem to have linked up again in Ireland after the war, before Willie moved to England and Howard went to the North.

And Charlotte Bradley/Martelli's life after she left Dublin for London in the early 1900s is a mystery until the 1911 census, where I found her again, living in a boarding house. She and Howard appear to have reestablished contact while he was in school in England. Maybe she also had contact with some of her other Bradley relatives in England over these years?

All the best,
Dennis

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 01 November 13 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Dennis - I have sent you a private message - suggest we continue by email as further posts on Martelli/Bradley not really relevant to this Halpin board. Brian

Offline denboa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 01 November 13 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Brian,
I think you're right. I certainly wouldn't want to impose on our hosts, so I will be in touch separately, as you suggest.
Thanks,
Dennis

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 28 November 13 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I have not contributed much to this site for some time.  I have been following family away from Wicklow, some of which may come into focus in due course.  However, something has come to light that injects new material into the wonderful discoveries by Tavern over a year ago now, more or less culminating in Reply 216 in the previous thread.

Ray has uncovered in the Registry of Deeds the following. 

1839 1 67 - 1839 1 68: Memo of Indented Deed of Marriage Settlement dated 2nd September 1829 made between the Reverend Henniker Johnston of Mullboden, County Kildare, Clerk, of the first part, George Halpin of Northwall in the County of the City of Dublin, Esquire, of the second part, Elizabeth Halpin of the same place, Spinster, second daughter of the said George Halpin, of the third part, William Halpin of Seville Place, in the City of the County of Dublin, late Captain in His Majesty's First Regiment of Light Dragoons, of the King's German Legions, and James Elliot, Esquire, of the City of Dublin, Attorney at Law, Trustees, mutually chosen and appointed of the forth par, Reciting a marriage was then shortly intended to be had solemnized between the said Henniker Johnston and Elizabeth Halpin ........

This Elizabeth must be a previously unknown daughter of George and Isabella.  It would be tempting to have her as a daughter of George and his second wife Elizabeth Bourne.  But they married in 1817, which rules out a daughter marrying in 1829.

A Wicklow note is that Rev Henniker Johnston seems to have ended his days dying in the rectory of Hollywood in 1882.  So far I have not been able to discover if his marriage to Elizabeth took place, or anything further.  We do know that at George's death in 1854 his only surviving children were named as George junior and Frederick.

I wonder if any of our Wicklow readers may know anything of the Hollywood COI parish.