Author Topic: MacMillan/MacMullin California  (Read 3235 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacMillan/MacMullin California
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 April 13 14:04 BST (UK) »
Although the ages are again suspect I believe that this may be the family on the 1871 census in Mira Bay, Cape Breton:

Household Members:   
Name                    Age
John Mcmullan            50  Scotland, Farmer
Sarah Mcmullan            46  Scotland
Sarah Mcmullan            28
Mary Mcmullan            25
Kate Mcmullan            23
Malcolm Mcmullan    21
Donald Mcmullan    19
John Mcmullan            15
Kate Mcmullan            12

If this the case then Kate (Catherine) age 23 married a James William Miller about 1873 and is shown on the 1881 census at Grand Mira North:

Household Members:   
Name                 Age
James Miller         32
Catherine Miller         33
George M. Miller   7
John I. Miller           4
Mary E. Miller           0

1891 census at Hillside Mira:

Household Members:   
Name                      Age
James W Miller            45
Kate Miller               44
George M Miller             16
John I Miller             14
Mary E Miller               8
James E Miller               6

Ray

Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 April 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
A tree on An**y has John McMullin dying in 1914 in Mira, Cape Breton at the age of 103.  Not found this death.

Have checked the 1911 census can't see a John McMullin (or other versions) age 100 (or near 100).

This tree shows the descendants via Catherine McMullin/Miller through:

1.  George Miller who married a Emma Tutty

2. James Miller who married a Elsie L Morrison

However not traced either of these families, so not sure how reliable this information is -

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 April 13 14:31 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Kate/Catherine McMullin to James Miller 17 Sept 1872

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F2G9-Z4F

Marriage of George Miller to Emma Tutty

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F2LC-NXJ

Marriage of James Miller to Elsie Morrison

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMLD-3XD

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 April 13 19:39 BST (UK) »
Reply 4 shows the death of Catherine Isabel MacMillan/Smith - daughter of Angus & Kate.

1940 Fortuna, Humboldt, California shows Catherine with her husband Edmund and a daughter Marian.

Edmund L Smith 55  Catherine I Smith 58  Daughter M Smith 12 years

Edmund was Edmund Levi Smith born April 10th 1884 Wethersfield. Connecticut.

Daughter  was born 10 April 1927 - Mothers Maiden name :- MacMillan.

Came across a family tree entry that gives Robert M. Hastings - 13 June 1922 and died 16 Sept 2006 as the husband of the daughter named on the 1940 census
Last Residence 95540  Fortuna, Humboldt, California
SSN issued Washington (Before 1951)

It would appear the daughter is alive and living in California - if you use whitepages, switchboard.com, people search or sites like those, you should find her listed.  Let me know if you have a problem and I will send detail in pm.

Sandra 
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 April 13 19:54 BST (UK) »
Edmund Levi Smith born 10 April 1884 died 6 Nov 1961 Humboldt. California.
Mothers maiden name:- Churchill

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 April 13 20:24 BST (UK) »
Sandra and RayDen: thank you so much for your kindness and quite astounding set of replies within 24 hours. I should say that I did not try to include ages as, apart from those who came to California being second generation and not those who left my island of Benbecula in the Outer Hebrides, our predecessors there were innumerate and entirely uninterested in accuracy about dated of birth and ages so I have tended to find giving wild approximations has been as off-putting as helpful in like cases. I am certain though that you have tracked down the right family.

Perhaps I should explain my interest. Bards and seanachies in the gaelic world were a mix of poet, PR man and historian and the post was hereditary. The greatest and longest lived of these lines was the MacMhuirichs, descended from a Muredach who fled to Scotland from Ireland after mudering a rent collector who spoke rudely to him. That was in 1213 and his descendants were bards to the MacDonald Lords of the Isles until 1493, when the latter were forfeited. luckily, another branch, Clanranald had taken on one of the family in 1490. Approaching 1700, attempts were made to Anglicise surnames and the MacMhuirichs, still bards, in South Uist became Currie and in the neighbouring island of Benbecula became MacPherson. At the same time, descendants of a Maolmuire had their patronymic of MhaolMhure changed to the name borrowed for them by the priest, becoming MacMillan. We have recently found that Maolmuire was the son of the greatest of all the bards, Cathal MacMhuirich, who died in 1663. Maolmuire had a son Donald whose son Gillecallum appeared in a 1738 list of inhabitants as Malcolm MacMillan, The John MacMillan born in 1811 who emigrated to Nova Scotia was son of Angus MacMillan son of Malcolm.

It seems probable that these folks you have just tracked down for me were descendants of the High Kings of Ireland in the 70ss via the MacMhuirich bards. My project in setting out to follow their trail is to arrange DNA testing to compare with other results. Any advice on how I might take the one more step to identify a living male decendant would be most gratefully received.

Thanks again both for your incredible efforts. Angus. [p.s. I hope this does not repeat my message of a few minutes ago that simply disappeared into the ether!]

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 April 13 21:16 BST (UK) »
Have been trying to come forward on all the lines as far as possible - Hopefully through the powers of google, MacMillan descendants will pick up on the thread and they may show interest in the DNA testing. Its amazing how often descendants do pick up on the threads.
There is a board on Rootschat  - Ancestral Family Tree DNA Testing - if you haven't noticed it, may be worth a look.

Sandra

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 26 April 13 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandra, I will certainly look at and keep an eye on the Ancestral Family Tree DNA Testing board.

Angus