Author Topic: Guyana  (Read 3962 times)

Offline juliette668

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guyana
« on: Friday 26 April 13 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hello, everyone! I am new to this type of research, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips about searching for records from Guyana (formerly British Guiana). My grandfather was born there in the 1890's and emigrated to New York City in the 1920's. I don't even know what his parents' names were, and I figure if I can find his birth certificate I can at least find that out. Thanks!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Guyana
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 April 13 08:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Did your grandfather marry in New York or another U.S. state? if so, his marriage certificate is likely to list names of both parents.

If he entered the U.S. at Ellis Island (N.Y.) there might be details listed in the passenger manifest.

If you give us his names and the information you already have about him we might be able to find more details or suggest where you can search next.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline juliette668

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 13 09:04 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you for taking the time to reply!

Well, I don't have access to any family documents. :( Here is what I have:

His name was Cecil Martin, and he was born around 1895 and died in the 1980s.

He was married, in NYC, to Fritzi Schwarz. Although, now that I am looking into it, it turns out that interracial marriage wasn't legal in New York state until 1946, which is after when they would have been married. I don't know if that complicates finding records. (My grandmother was Austrian, and although my grandfather was a mixture of ethnicities, he is listed as "Negro" on the US Census.)

I don't think he would have come through Ellis Island, although I don't know for sure. I do know that after leaving his home country he spent time in other countries. For example, he worked on the Panama Canal.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 April 13 09:37 BST (UK) »
This looks like your grandfather in 1930 census- says he was single and arrived in U.S. 1918-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X4L8-2K5

If this is the correct Cecil Martin then in 1940 his birthplace is listed as South America-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K3YP-5KQ
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline juliette668

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 April 13 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to look him up. :)

Yes, I'm pretty sure the first one is him. I'm not so sure about the second one, since the birth year and name is a bit off.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I've found him in the 1930 and 1940 Census records before, but I can't find any marriage records for him and my grandmother. I also found a Social Security Death Index record that might be him, but the birth year is 1885.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
What do you know about Fritzi Schwarz? (When/where born, where entered the country, etc)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline juliette668

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 April 13 17:23 BST (UK) »
She was born in Austria in 1914 and came to the United States in 1941.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 May 13 13:27 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the information about interracial marriage being illegal in New York until 1946?  According to this - http://lovingday.org/legal-map - New York never had a law restricting interracial marriage.

Looking at the actual image of the 1940 census that aghadowey found, it looks like the surname is spelled Martin rather than Marten.  Either way, one letter off would not be something I would consider a deal breaker.

This appears to be his WWII draft registration card - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTS4-D4C  The person given who would always know his address appears to be a neighbor, so I presume he wasn't married at that time.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 May 13 14:19 BST (UK) »
There is a Declaration of Intention for naturalization from 1921 for Cecil Theodore Martin.  It says he was born Georgetown, British Guiana on 21 Aug. 1885. Current address 323 West 37th St., New York City, New York.  Occupation was compositor.  Complexion - brown, hair - black, eyes - brown, 138 pounds.  It says his last foreign residence was Cuba & he sailed from Havana on the vessel Morro Castle to New York, arriving 20 Nov. 1919.  It says his wife Bessie was born in the US and living with him.

A Petition for Naturalization dated 21 Dec. 1926 gives the same date & place of birth.  His residence was 210 W. 138th St., and his occupation was realtor (which matches the census records and the draft registration card).  This says he sailed from Havana to New York on the Morro Castle from 8 Mar. to 12 Mar. 1917.  His wife Bessie was born Norfolk, Virginia in 1895 and was living with him.  He had no children.  It appears he was naturalized on 2 May 1927.

It looks like his year of birth has fluctuated a bit, but the 1885 date seems to match this result on the Social Security death index - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VMKF-82L  If this is him, you could order his original Social Security application and it would likely include his parents' names.  More information on how to do this is here - http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_records/a/ss5_request.htm 

If you know where he died, then ordering his death certificate would be another option.  If it was New York, you can order recent death certificates if you can prove you are a direct descendant.  Please note that New York City keeps its vital records separately from New York state, so be sure to order from the right place.