Author Topic: Langwith  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Alfyapple

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Langwith
« on: Saturday 27 April 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
 My Mothers family all lived in Langwith. Derbyshire. Has anyone any records of the houses that they lived in Addresses that I have are Scott Street, and  227 Chapel Street. Are these streets still there.

The family names  My Mothers side are Buxton I think they lived at Wally Thorns.  Mothers Fathers side Powis. Lived in Scott street.  My Mothers father is Buried in Langwith Church yard  in 1912. Has Anyone got any Information about these families.    My Mothers Mother remarried  Mr William Shaw . he was the lamp Superintendent  at Langwith Colliery about 1920. Then he moved up to marsden Colliery Durham.  I shall be visiting Langwith on the 12th May 2013. I shall be traveling from Devon back to Leeds West Yorkshire where I live.
Graham

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Langwith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 13 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Looking at Langwith street view it would appear that 227 Chapel Street is still there. OH thinks that Scott Street was replaced by New Scott Street.

This looks to be the marriage of Enoch Powis/Edith Buxton -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NNZ3-KTC

In 1901 Enoch, Edith and Ellen (7 months) are living at 227 Chapel Street

1891 for the Buxton family -

Joseph Buxton   47 b. Ilkeston, Derbyshire Coal Miner
Angelina Buxton   47 b. Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Edith Buxton   16 b. Renishaw, Derbyshire
William A Buxton 14 b. Ashover, Derbyshire
Ellen Buxton 9 b. Carlton, Yorkshire
Joseph Buxton 7 b. Barlborough, Derbyshire
Samuel Buxton 5 b. Barlborough, Derbyshire
Earnest E Buxton 3/12 b. Barlborough, Derbyshire

RG12 Piece 2647 Folio 51 Page 20 Barlborough, Worksop

1891 for the Powis Family -

Benjamin Powis   39 b. Dawley, Shropshire Coal Miner
Emma Powis   39 b. Somerset
Benjamin Powis   15 b. Dawley, Shropshire
Enock Powis   14 b. Hednesford, Staffordshire
John N Powis   12 b. Rugeley, Staffordshire
Charles W Powis   8 b. Rugeley, Staffordshire
Mary A Powis   5 b. Hednesford, Staffordshire
Annie E Powis   2 b. Whaley Thorns, Derbyshire

RG12 Piece 2767 Folio 66 Page 31 - 88 Church Street, Whaley Thorns

In 1901 the Powis family (Benjamin and Emma) are living at 210 Chapel Street and the Buxton family (Joseph and Angelina) are living at 212 Chapel Street.  :)

Hope some of the above is of interest.

Regards

JJ

Offline Alfyapple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 13 09:57 BST (UK) »
Well I never!!!! Such rapid response to my query many thanks indeed. After all these years I intend to visit Langwith. I wish I had done it years ago when my Mother was still living. Those references that you give i,e folio numbers what do they refer to and can get access to them.

You state that some of the streets still are that  that is super. Also you refer to a street plan where would I be able to have a squint at that. I have a photo of Emma Powis and Dick Powis at Scott street.
Would i be able to upload to this site?

Kind Regards
Graham

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 April 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,

The reference numbers refer to the census entry. The link below explains in more detail -

http://www.rootsuk.com/researchguide/census_page.htm

You would need a subscription to a Genealogy website to view the census but the 1881 is free to view. Your local library should have a subscription, which is always a good place to start (especially as it's free  :) )

If you Google 'Chapel Street, Langwith' a map will come up with a yellow man above the zoom lever. If you drag him to Chapel Street you will be able to see a street view.

I've never uploaded a photograph to this site but the link below explains how.

http://www.rootsuk.com/researchguide/census_page.htm

I hope that answers your questions. If you need anymore help then RootsChattters are always willing to help as many have a great wealth of knowledge (I'm still learning!)

Enjoy your visit to Langwith/ Whaley Thorns.

Regards

JJ

Offline Alfyapple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 13 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Many thanks for your help in my search for my family history. Your information will help me identify where my family lived. I am surprised that the houses are still there. The family would have left the area in about 1919. I know for a fact that my grandmother had remarried and moved up to Durham by 1921. My Mother would have then gone into service in Leeds. 
I know that Langwith Colliery was demolished in about 1978.So there will not be much of that left.
I now need to identify which graveyard my Grandfather was buried in. The info that I have is he was Buried in Langwith Churchyard 1912. lets hope that the Church is still there. I am looking forward to my visit  to Langwith.
Regards
graham