Author Topic: William SMITH married 1867 Pilliga, born Brisbane, parents.. John & Isabella?  (Read 5136 times)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith married 1867 Pilliga, born Brisbane, parents.. John & Isabella?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 April 13 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you, William. I appreciate this. I did read on one tree that there was a William but he is not on other trees. As JM suggested, I think that I will have to order a BC for Caroline SMITH (a sibling of your George) who was born at a later date & this should have William's name on it if indeed he was a son of John & Isabella's. Thanks for checking this. In one tree one of the other twins is not listed (yet both listed in another). There is one tree with 16 children yet in most of the trees I have seen for this couple, there are 14 (or less), so it is possible that someone intertwined two trees.
Thanks again.
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith married 1867 Pilliga, born Brisbane, parents.. John & Isabella?
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 April 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
Of the two Trees I mentioned,one has fourteen children,the other has twelve.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 April 13 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remove your email address from your earlier post...

Ok..getting back to this bapt cert...the Qld one gives a date of 1854 which is what struck me as strange. This is the one that I ordered taken from the NSW BDM... V18502530 35/1850 ...Why does one say 1850 & one 1854..I got excited when I saw this as I thought that maybe the child was baptised in 1854 NOT 1850 as on this transcript which would give more validation to the fact that he survived at least to 1854...& maybe beyond.. :D

Following up on the QLD BDM online index for William SMITH,  (looking to match the 6 Aug 1850 Early Church Record on NSW BDM online

Yes, the (oops, adding) QLD  ::) (a JM oversight) online index has 1854/BBP356 AS THE Reg # for William SMITH, Father : William,  Mother Ann Matilda.  AND to search for that record, try searching with the date as:
Date to search from: 06/08/1850
To: 06/08/1850
(That is, use the date from the NSW BDM official transcript…. )  ….. And be pleasantly surprised that QLD BDM online index displays the result ….

What does that all mean?   Well, most likely there’s a typo on the QLD BDM online index (1854 should read 1850 !)    ;D

TIP .... (Which I am quoting from QLD BDM website)

" Date search fields
You must enter at least one date parameter for your search. This must be:
either
Date of birth/death/marriage – this can be the exact date, the month and year, or just year, entered in the format dd/mm/yyyy, mm/yyyy or yyyy e.g. 01/01/1901, 01/1901 or 1901.
or
Date of birth/death/marriage range – date to search from. This can also be an exact date, month and year, or just year, entered in the format dd/mm/yyyy, mm/yyyy or yyyy. You can optionally enter a ‘To’ value to limit your range search in the format dd/mm/yyyy or mm/yyyy or yyyy.
Note that the ‘Date to search from’ is the date the event actually occurred and not the date the event was registered at the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages"

So, if you only know the year, then try the first half of a year (01/01/1850 to 30/06/1850) IF no result found, try the second half.   Then go for the quarter of a year, then a month, then a fortnight in that month .... saves guessing ! 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ljv0711

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: William SMITH married 1867 Pilliga, born Brisbane, parents.. John & Isabella?
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

Whilst I have only just joined Rootschat, I have been researching for over 20years and the custodian of family history, handed down since the mid 1800's.

I have been lucky that much general information on my line also has been passed along.  What I thought you would be interested to know is that I am the Gr Gr Grandaughter of Isabella's twin sister Jane.  Yes, the Donalds certainly have done their part as early pioneers to help our great Australia grow and prosper. 

If you do not have a photo of Isabella I do have one of Jane - so I don't you could get much closer to see what she looked like. 

Yes, Drayton is righ ton the edge of Toowoomba.  Within Australian pioneer country, there were great distances to be travelled via horse, which also took a long time between visits.  So when ministers such as Church of England - Rev Benjamin Glennie travelled through, their parisheners certainly caught up with them for baptisms, weddings and other duties.  In the Darling Downs and Toowoomb area, you will see his name on many documents.   

Jane Donald married Edward Blanchfield Anderson....but that is a whole different email, with a cast of hundreds of descendents too.   Hope this may help.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William SMITH married 1867 Pilliga, born Brisbane, parents.. John & Isabella?
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,welcome to Rootschat!I have descendants of Jane's brother George(1832) in my Tree.George married my relative Hannah Hughes at Goomburra in 1854.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D. (S.) C. Koori

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 December 23 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  :)

I found Your post a couple of weeks ago, when the weblink  appeared, when I was doing a google search for "William Smith".

During that time, I have constantly contemplated whether I should share My knowledge / thoughts.

My decision to register on this website Today (23/12/'23):  Is because I wanted to impart My information to You.

Those being "the indiscretions" of One's Ancestor's, finally being revealed.

My Surname is Smith, by Birth.

I am an "Australian" Descendant of a "William Smith."
Though it is not through His Legal Marriage, to Isabella Cooper.

My learned "oral history" that has been passesd down from generation to generation;  In addition to the research results, indicates, that My very firm belief is:  We Both have a shared Ancestor;   Namely "William Smith."

I could go on further.
But I will leave it at that for now.
I know the reason for why William was in "The Pilliga" Region.

Addionally, it includes some of the circumstances of His Birth, and earlier life.

If You are interested / intrigued;
I could give the remaining info. that I have uncovered of His line of "The Smith's". In Australia, and the Origins in The U.K.

Offline D. (S.) C. Koori

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 23 December 23 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Just realised that I typed the wrong name for the Wife.
I meant "Eliza".