Author Topic: Gallipoli - Battle of the Teacups?  (Read 5940 times)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gallipoli - Battle of the Teacups?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 04:42 BST (UK) »
Warin's NZETC link led me to the history of the specific battalion of interest.  This was really enlightening as it paralleled the military file information.  It put 'meat on bones' so as to speak.  It also, sadly indicated that we will never know if the family story is true, as only 8 of the last larger group to evacuate were named; unless another source is found.  Bean's history suggested that each battalion/regiment/group had about 20 minutes to vacate their trench, so the story is still possible.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline sandy75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 04:48 BST (UK) »
 :D  Hi  If you would like  further Info on New Zealanders efforts in Gallipoli there are three good New Zealand history books you should read:
 The Anzac Experience  NZ, Australia, and Empire in the WW1....Christopher Pugsley.
Echoes of Gallipoli  ..Terry Kinloch..   NZ Mounted Riflemen.
Bloody Gallipoli ... Richard Stowers   good ref lists deaths by the Day etc  public library should have a copy  443 pages

regards J R
Robertson, Fergusson,  Scandrett,  Rodgers, Robinsons, Van Hoorn, Doubles

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 05:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the book recommendation (yet another  ;) ) spades.

Our library has a few Gallipoli books, now that I look along with the one you noted, so I will get them out this week.

I bet the soldiers who wrote letters home and diaries never thought that they would end up writing for a far wider audience by way of published books.  Oh to have had smart phones, the internet, and global media a hundred years ago.

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 05:28 BST (UK) »
sandy75, there is one of your book recommendations there too.   Think I'll have to take the car for this trip!

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again Twiggy,

Just an idle thought, but I almost bet that the word 'teacups' wasn't the original word your men used to describe the evacuation.

To me, anyway, something like 'Battle of the Billies' sounds more soldier-like, with 'teacups' the phrase used once home in company.

Happy reading,

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL