Author Topic: Travel from East Coast to West Coast Australia "DOYLE"  (Read 1390 times)

Offline robgen1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Travel from East Coast to West Coast Australia "DOYLE"
« on: Monday 29 April 13 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

have a bit of a mystery perhaps some one can either suggest a place to look for the records so i can research it myself, or someone may already hold the information being looked for

Passenger list for years 1853 to 1861 into Perth Colony of Western Australia. if there anyone knows if there is a good one online aside from ancestry.

I am trying to prove or disprove travel of one "Julia Doyle","domestic servant" from either Colony of Queensland or Colony of New South Wales to Perth

The time frame is important as
earlier that 1853 cant be right Julia nor anything after 1861 cant be right either

Marriage Certificate states father as James Doyle and approx year of birth is correct , however profession of father is incorrect

Marriage was Henry Albert to Julia Doyle 1861 in Fremantle Colony of Western Australia
cert WA B.D.M. - 1861/1621

Thought maybe WA Specific Researchers may have any other ideas as well

Cheers
Greg

Roberts - Manningford - Wiltshire - United Kingdom
Gulley - Manningford - Wiltshire - United Kingdom
Simper - Manningford - Wiltshire - United Kingdom
Rutt - Hampshire - United Kingdom

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Travel from East Coast to West Coast Australia "Doyle"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 13 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg,

A good place to start is the "Western Australia Resources" section in Australian Resources and Offers if you want to try and find your Julia. It is top of this Board. There are shipping lists included. "Trove" would be next as sometimes people entering were listed in the Newspaper.

However if she traveled with a party as their domestic she may not be named.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline robgen1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
** Completed** Re: Travel from East Coast to West Coast Australia "DOYLE"
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 May 13 08:36 BST (UK) »
Completed

thanks to all that replied

Offline kristyo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Travel from East Coast to West Coast Australia "DOYLE"
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Robgen,

I was just wondering if you found out anything here. Julia Doyle and Henry Albert are my Great great great grandparents and I am finding conflicting info on which family Julia Doyle belongs to and how she came to Australia let alone how she came to western Australia!!

The info I have is that Julia arrived into Australia in 1852 on the Emma Eugenia, in either Brisbane or Portland, Victoria.

I previously had her parents as James and Margaret who arrived on the argyle in 1852 but have since been told that these are not her parents... are you able to help me at all?

Thanks

Kristy

Offline robgen1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi kristyo

I investigated further and found that the Julia Doyle i am researching is not the one that married Mr Albert/Albutt

The Julia Doyle i am researching is the one that arrived on the Argyle into the port of Brisbane who was the daughter of James Doyle and Margaret Mc Donnell.

If you have the details of Emma Eugenia that would be the place i would suggest the you investigate further as the one into Brisbane is not the one you are after.

Have a look at the Victoria to Western Australia inward-bound immigration records from start of Swan River Colony etc  could also be into Albany etc.

I wish i could say "yep i have the details you are chasing" unfortunately i don't have them sadly.
I hope you are able to find your Julia Doyle

Cheers
Greg

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hullo again Greg and welcome to Rootschat Kristy. ;D

It seems that Greg has discovered that your Julia DOYLE is not the one in his family tree. I am unsure if he has discovered his Julia DOYLE'S background as yet though. ???

If you want further information it would be best to start a new thread on the Australia Board and we can try and see if more can be found about your Julia's origins and family before she married Mr ALBERT. It would most likely be that the ships first port of call in Australia was "Portland" and the most likely place for her to disembark. 1st question will be though. "Do you have a copy of the marriage cert for Julia to Henry" ???

If not then this may hold the answers you are looking for as lot's of info can be gleaned from the certificate.

Greg this question may apply to you too and may hold some of the answers you are seeking, if you have not progressed any further than discovering at least the right Julia.

Neil

Offline robgen1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil and Kristy

The Julia from my line was finally located by an obit and probate notice here in NSW,where one of her nephews was named as the executor of said estate. "spruson" was the nephew mentioned the son of her youngest sister

I was able to backtrack together with a few other researchers of same family to establish i had right one, fortunately the family i was researching put notices in the Newspapers.

The thing that put "us all off" was few other notices had order of female children incorrectly listed, however with great deal of checking were able to prove that Julia, Kristy is after is not same one due to documents being found disproving the WA Link claimed

Cheers
Greg

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg, A good outcome for you and yes, lucky that you found those notices. Our forebears weren't that interested in us checking up on them, so lot's of information can be difficult to find. ::)

Kristy if you need further help I re-interate, please start a new Topic the details on how are in the beginners section, I am sure we can advance your search. ;)

Neil

Offline robgen1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 June 13 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

Yes the forebares dont always make it easy for us to find them.
Much Information is either hidden or obscured by time and circumstances

Cheers
Greg