Author Topic: Spout Houses/Spout House Farm - Haslingden  (Read 6656 times)

Offline emjay1401

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spout Houses/Spout House Farm - Haslingden
« on: Monday 29 April 13 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

I am new to all this (i.e. I have no idea how to do anything!!!).

Last year I moved into Spout House Farm off Cribden End Lane, Haslingden.  I believe the house was originally one dwelling but is now 3 separate private dwellings (numbers 1, 2 & 3).  I am also lead to believe that the building was at one time a coaching house.  I have no evidence of this and don't know if this is true.  The property is known as Spout Houses or Spout House Farm (it is no longer a working farm).

Basically I am trying to find out as much information on the house as possible as Google searches seem to come up with nothing.  The house is apparently 300-400 years old.

The main reason for trying to find some information is simply that my partner and I love the feel of the house and we believe there to be a ghost or 2!  We always hear unexplained noises and wehave heard a deep voice plus a bum has been pinched!  None of this has felt scary or threatening and there is a lovely atmosphere in the house (although at night it can feel a little creepy!).

We have asked the neighbours and they too have experienced strange happenings and they have been there almost 40 years.  Yet there seems to be no information readily available about the property.

Any help would be really appreciated and I would dearly love to see any old pictures of the property!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spout Houses/Spout House Farm - Haslingden
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 13 17:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
You can see Spout House on the 1893 map at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=379373,423430

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Emjay,

Welcome to Rootschat!

My first approach to "finding" any info is to contact (or even better visit) the Local History section of the library local to your building.

They are likely to hold a lot of maps, and over many years, you can therefore study the shapes of the building and see how it has altered and compare.  Well worth a rummage!

You could also try and see if you have a local history group - ask the locals - another good place to start!

The other thing is to put as much info about the house here, and sit back.... I am sure someone on here will enjoy joining in!!

Good luck,

Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 13 18:50 BST (UK) »
A warm welcome to Rootschat

Historical Directories     http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/findbykeyword.asp

Could try searching this on line site?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 13 20:03 BST (UK) »
1851 Census  HO107  2250  65  23

Three separate familes (the Barlows, the Whittakers, the Tattersalls) are listed under the same address "Spout House" in the '51 Census.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 April 13 20:11 BST (UK) »
1841 Census  HO107  508  15/43  24

At "Spout House, Whalley, Haslingden" are four families - the Nuttalls, Rawsthorns, Barnes and Whittakers

Offline emjay1401

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you all!

The only problem I have is that I'm self-employed and work 6 days a week - I only have Sundays off and no holidays so I'm finding it hard to find any info out.

Our living room used to be the barn (converted approx. 70-80 years ago).  It was also used as a B&B up until a couple of years ago.

But thanks for your info and if anybody discovers anything else then I would be very grateful if you could let me know! :-)

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Well you have no excuse - I too am self employed so I know the feeling.... but email your library, I always find them SO helpful -  I am sure you can get them on board!! (Worth a try eh?!)

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline Shirleyjjj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 21:11 BST (UK) »
hi - ive never been to Haslingden but my gt gt grandfather used to own a similar place called haslingden grane or barn - and owned a quarry there - no doubt there are quite a few nice barn conversions in the village (only seen pics on the internet) it looks a nice place

Interesting about the ghost - maybe you can ask them to sort out the gaps in out trees ??