Author Topic: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 37479 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 20:06 BST (UK) »
Grrrr......this is insane I have 6 trees on FTM and have now managed to get a calendar for 5 of them but not my own and that's the one I wanted. Really doesn't make sense why I can't do it but there you go.

Sorry for hijacking this interesting thread everyone and thank you for trying to help me :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 20:40 BST (UK) »
Right, got there :D

So......my 1st cousin 3x removed, Emily Jane Batrick, died 28th May 1868 at the age of one month. Her death certificate says she died as a result of debility from birth. Her parents lost a lot of their children in infancy.  :'(
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 06:50 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1721 Mary Crossland was baptised at All Hallows Kirkburton in W Yorkshire
Her parents were Godfrey Cros(s)land and Elizabeth Hirst

Mary married WIlliam Wood on 31st Dec 1744, at Kirkburton.

They had 8 children at Farnley Tyas

HOwever have not tracked death of either
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 09:10 BST (UK) »
In 1888, my 4xGreat Uncle Edward Carter died in Kingston Surrey

Also on this day in 1974 a second cousin once removed was born in Newton Abbot but as she is still living, i will not post her name
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 09:29 BST (UK) »
Born today a 2xgt. uncle, Charles Joseph Pain in 1851 in Woolwich, Kent;  son of Charles George and Mary Jane (nee Ottley). Charles appears on 1871 census as a teacher but died in April 1872 of "cerebral disease" and is buried in St. Margaret, Plumstead.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thomas Ross was christened in Colinton parish 29 May 1785, the eldest child of my 5xG grandparents Peter Ross and Agnes Mason. They were living in Craiglockhart, now a suburb of Edinburgh. This proved a valuable document for me as the witnesses were James Mason and Trotter Ross. I have found the name Trotter used twice as a first name in my ancestry and this Trotter allowed me to go back a generation further and add a new surname, that of his mother, to my search.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 12:54 BST (UK) »
On 29 May 
Edward Stanton my 4 x g.g.uncle married  Susannah Edwards (Lane) in Holbeach, Lincolnshire in 1818

John Hardy & Ann Lees my husband’s 2 x g.grandparents married at Manchester Cathedral in 1847

Mary Jane Pemberton my 1st cousin twice removed was born in Kingsley, Frodsham, Cheshire in 1868

George E Purchon another 1st cousin twice removed was baptised in Hull, Yorkshire in 1864

Mary Elizabeth James my 5 x g.grandmother, and Agnes James her sister were baptised at St Mary Magdalene Church, Broughton in Furness, Lancashire in 1726.  It looks a lovely little church and if we go up to that area in the autumn, which all being well we are hoping to do, then that is something for us to look at.

Robert Middleton, my 3 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Millom, Cumberland in 1815.  Another lovely little church to visit.

Joseph Pemberton my 4 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Wilfred’s Church, Davenham, Cheshire in 1757.  He must have died as another child in the family was baptised as Joseph in 1760, but I can’t find a death for him.  The 2nd Joseph also died aged 2.

William Done my 4 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Mary’s Church, Weaverham, Cheshire in 1763

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
29th May 1743 - Elizabeth Littlefair was baptised in Cockfield Co. Durham. A 6 x great aunt

1850 - Alexander Daniel was born in Cruden, Aberdeenshire. 3 x great uncle

And the most important one for me today.....

29th May 1924, my father, John Shaw Howe was born in Aberdeen, son of John McIntosh Howe and Ethel Raitt. According to his younger sister, dad was the brainy one of the four siblings and spent hours immersed in his books. He had a place to study at Edinburgh University which could have resulted in him going in an academic direction and would almost certainly have meant that I'd never have been born. But the war got in his way and although, being a student, he wasn't obliged to join up, his headstrong younger brother had lied about his age, joined the Merchant Navy and was killed within months when the boat he was on was blown up in the mouth of the Thames. Dad then felt that studying was no longer an option and joined the Royal Navy where he spent the rest of the war. In 1946, when he was de-mobbed, his parents had moved south to England and were managing the Merchant Navy hotel in Middlesbrough. My mum was working for them and so family history was made. They married at the end of 1946 and shortly afterwards dad went to work at Wilton ICI where he stayed until he retired because of ill health in around 1980. He died in 1982 following a heart attack. Sadly his braininess never really achieved much for him. He considered going to train as a teacher but it would have meant leaving the ICI owned house we were in and finances were tight without the expense of a move. He also would have loved to take advantage of the assisted passage to Australia which was on offer at the time. We'd been accepted and plans were afoot for leaving the UK. But mum could cope with the idea of such a massive change, so that scuppered that one. Just think, I could have grown up with a Perth accent!

Anyway, that's my dad. He was lovely, funny, gentle, a fully paid up member of the grammar police and a stickler for table manners.   I still miss him. :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson