Author Topic: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 37455 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #144 on: Thursday 30 May 13 00:07 BST (UK) »
Interesting story Jen - how war changes the world and families!   

Lovely memories of your father.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Thursday 30 May 13 07:11 BST (UK) »
My dear aunt Cicely died on this day in 2010.
She was the one who preserved all the photographs and documents
She listed avidly to results of latest research, and kept up with the most far flung parts of the family.

Sadly missed
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Thursday 30 May 13 08:20 BST (UK) »
Born today in 1867 in Woolwich a 1st cousin 3R, William Joseph Pain; son of John Hutcheson and Mary Ann (nee Allen). William went to sea, gaining his Masters Certificate and married  Ellen Elizabeth Anson in 1894. Two children were born and William died in 1940 in Brighton; 8 years after Ellen. A description of him on one of his certificates shows him to be 5ft 9inch with brown hair and eyes.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Thursday 30 May 13 09:07 BST (UK) »
My father's cousin Matilda Margaret Pickler was born in 1909 in Chester, daughter of Matilda Wainwright &  Robert Pickler, an immigrant from Moravia. She was always known in the family as "Young Till" to distinguish her from her mother ("Old Till") - and kept this nickname upto her death at the age of 87! She married Horace Leslie Sear and they had 3 children.

In 1757 my 5xGreat Aunt Elizabeth Beverley was baptised in Leeds at the age of nearly 3 months.
In 1787 her father William Beverley was buried, having died a couple of days earlier
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Thursday 30 May 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
Just one today.

1875, my 2 x great-grandmother, Mary Iley ( nee Bland), died in Bedale. She was born 1823 in our near Yarm,  daughter of Matthew Iley and Ellen Cunion and was married to James Bland. I'm afraid that's about all I know of her but I've always quite liked her in a distant sort of a way.

Ooops - nearly missed this because of having the wrong date in my diary!

On May 29th 2009, my nephew was married in Brighton Register Office with little fuss and only his and his bride's parents to witness the event. On May 30th hundreds of friends and family walked up on to Winchester Old Hill where the ecstatically happy couple celebrated their hand-fasting. It was a glorious, sunny day and it made the most splendid sight - all in our wedding finery, wearing posh frocks, big hats and walking sandals or trainers. ;D

Ohhh... and when my niece-in-law, in her amazing deep red flamenco dress, with matching roses in her hair and more in her bouquet, walked up the hill and into the waiting circle of guests, there wasn't a dry eye to be seen and I honestly thought Tom was about to burst with joy.

Bemused walkers, falling upon the gathering by chance, watched and listened but left us in peace.

The ceremony over, we went a little way down the hill into an ancient yew grove where, the previous evening, champagne and glasses had been carefully hidden and kept cool.

The rest of the weekend was given over to partying, singing, dancing and music, in a field which a local farmer had let them use for the occasion. It was one of the loveliest weddings I have ever been to and I wish them every happiness on their anniversary.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Thursday 30 May 13 12:07 BST (UK) »
The 24th would have been my Mum's 98th birthday ,she passed away in 1994.
                                    Barb
Briscoe-Midlands-Birmingham and Worcs.
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Piper and Bevan Worcs and Herefordshire
Taylor -Birmingham

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Thursday 30 May 13 14:04 BST (UK) »
Only distant ancestors today:

On 30 May 
Elizabeth Collett my 3rd cousin once removed was born in Yoxford, Suffolk in 1900

John Hobson my 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised at All Hallows Church, Almondbury, Yorkshire in 1798

Walter Stanton my 1st cousin 5 times removed was baptised at St Mary and the Holy Rood Church, Donington in Holland, Lincolnshire in 1823

William Walter Gaunt my 2nd cousin 3 times removed was baptised at St John the Baptist Church, Penistone, Yorkshire in 1830

Sarah Sale and Betty Sale, my husband’s 3 x g.g.aunts were baptised In Royton, Lancashire in 1806

Nancy Middleton my 3 x g.g.aunt died in 1884 at Seascale, Cumberland, England

Samuel Pemberton my 2 x g.g.uncle was buried in the parish of Nether Peover, Cheshire in 1820.  He was 10 weeks old.  I don’t know the cause of his death, but I do know that his mother died 3 months later aged 31.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Thursday 30 May 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
genjen - Your nephew's wedding sounds wonderful, what a lovely idea.  A bit on the lines of the French, quick registrar/town hall wedding for the legalities, then on to either a church for a formal wedding, or just celebrate.  We've been in villages in France when a local has married and all the villagers, and holidaymakers joined in with the celebrations.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Thursday 30 May 13 17:00 BST (UK) »
.....and every car in the neighbourhood is sounding its horn...... We have seen them too. They are great fun. ;D

My nephew and his wife are both professional musicians and so are most of their friends. It made for a wonderful party.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson