Author Topic: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 37494 times)

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 11 May 13 16:56 BST (UK) »
I should have posted this yesterday ::)

My Dad died 10th May 1976 :'( :'(

RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 11 May 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
I can imagine you are sad - my Mum died in 1980 and I still miss her.
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 12 May 13 07:06 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1700, my 6 x great grandfather William Taylor was born in Newent, Gloucs

His parents were Edward Taylor and Anne?. Edward was a carpenter, but died in 1702
William married Martha Wheeler in 1723 at Newent
He took up the family trade of Carpentry too
They had 9 children. Martha died in 1758, but have not located William's death

Having checked the Forest of Dean website, I believe William died in 1774 as thi was a carpenter
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 12 May 13 09:50 BST (UK) »
One for today and one I missed. Both my grandmothers died in May. Hannah on May 6 1985 and Elizabeth on May 12 1978. Both lie in the same cemetery in Scotland.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 12 May 13 10:38 BST (UK) »
1767, 5 x great grandparents, Samuel Bland and Rachel Littlefare married in Kirkby Ravensworth, North Riding of Yorkshire.

One of the most unnerving things about doing genealogy is the number of names I share with my old school teachers. In some cases it will inevitably be a pure chance and with common names will mean nothing. But with Littlefare, in the area we come from, it is almost certain that I am distantly related to the man who taught me German. I loathed him with a vengeance and I really don't want to share my genes with him. Just proves the old adage - You can't choose your family!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 12 May 13 12:59 BST (UK) »
One of the most unnerving things about doing genealogy is the number of names I share with my old school teachers. In some cases it will inevitably be a pure chance and with common names will mean nothing. But with Littlefare, in the area we come from, it is almost certain that I am distantly related to the man who taught me German. I loathed him with a vengeance and I really don't want to share my genes with him. Just proves the old adage - You can't choose your family!

This reminds me that I loathed my headmistress with a vengeance and since doing family research have found that her ancestors and mine were very friendly and they witnessed each others wills and wills for other members of their families.  At least - so far - I've not found a genetic connection thank goodness.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 12 May 13 13:04 BST (UK) »
On 12 May
William Cawthorn and Mary Chapman my 4 x g.grandparents married in Pinchbeck in 1793

Albert Alan Henshall my 3rd cousin was born in Leeks, Staffordshire in 1913

Lucy Baxter and Ann Baxter my twin 5 x g.g.aunts were baptised in Heckington, Lincolnshire in 1761

Ann Wilkinson my 7 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Holme Cultram, Cumberland in1675

Catherine Hannah Sharp my 1st cousin 4 times removed died in Boston, Lincolnshire in 1838.  She was 3½ years old.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 12 May 13 13:09 BST (UK) »
I have contemplated researching the German teacher's family just to make sure that any links are a long way back. But it's a problem because I can't remember his Christian name as he was universally ( if it can be universal within the confines of a girls' grammar school) known as Slug! ;D ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 13 May 13 07:12 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1883 , my great grandparents Lucy Ann Holmes and William Henry Pullen married at St Clement's Worcester.

Lucy had grown up in Birmingham as youngest but 1 of 11 surviving children. Her mother's early death meant she was looked after by older siblings and she moved to Worcester with her sister Sue (Susanne) living with her even after Sue's marriage.

William was born in Herefordshire and became a gardener.

Their first child died young and they had three more. They then settled in Wick near Pershore where William was head gardener.

HOwever Lucy seemed to be ill sometimes and died in 1906 of a Paralytic seizure (whatever we would call that today).
By 1911 the remaining family had relocated to Staines. William later remarried and lived until 1943.
Willliam is third from the right in back row
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com